One surprise that has come from this pandemic is the big corporations releasing secret recipes to the public. One that I was so excited to see is the release of the top secret Doubletree Hotel chocolate chip cookie recipe. Oh how I love those cookies. I get excited to stay at a Doubletree just because the warm cookies at night are just the best.
Basically the second they released it, I had to make the recipe at home just to test it out and yes. It is sooo good. I will be throwing away all other cookie recipes because who needs them. This my friends is the best chocolate chip cookie you will find.
Luckily I had all the ingredients on hand except the Doubletree recipe calls for walnuts. We have a deep divide in our household over nuts in cookies. The crazies I live with don’t like them. I didn’t have any walnuts on hand but I did have pecans so I added those instead and oh goodness. Best decision ever. I’m sure you can leave the nuts out though and these would be just as good.
Are you ready to get baking?
- ½ lb softened butter (2 sticks)
- ¾ cup + 1 tbl sugar
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1¼ teaspoon vanilla
- ¼ teaspoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2¼ cups flour
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- pinch cinnamon
- 2⅔ cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1¾ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Cream butter and both sugars in a mixer on medium for about 2 minutes.
- Add eggs, vanilla and lemon juice, adding in slowly on low speed for about 30 seconds, increase to medium speed for about 2 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Reduce speed to low and add oats, flour, baking soda and cinnamon just until blended together.
- Add chocolate chips and nuts and mix by hand until incorporated.
- Place scoops of dough (about 3 tbl in size) on a parchment lined baking sheet and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let cool on a baking rack.
A few notes from my experience baking. I did actually have lemons I was juicing for fresh lemonade so I did add the lemon juice.
As mentioned I substituted pecans for walnuts and they were delicious. This is a lot of chocolate chips. I had milk chocolate on hand not semi sweet and I think next time I might cut back just a tiny bit. If you decide not to add nuts the cookie might be a little too sweet so maybe consider fewer chocolate chips.
Also I always dump my cookie dough onto saran wrap and roll it into a log to bake fresh over a few days. We were eating these so fast though the dough only lasted about 3 days. The official recipe calls for each cookie to be roughly 3 tablespoons of dough. I usually make a smaller cookie- 3 tbl of dough is a generous size. I actually preferred the cookie when it was a little larger so I would recommend making these as the recipe suggests with about 3 tablespoon size portions. It seems to bake a little better than when I did our standard smaller size cookie.
I can’t wait to play with this recipe with white chocolate chips, maybe some crushed candy bars… it is just perfect and I hope you treat yourself to some of these cookies soon.
Come back and let me know what you think.
Here are a few other recipes you might also enjoy: