Here is a simple recipe that can be customized in a few different ways and is so fast and easy to make for lunch or dinner. Plus it is pretty darn healthy and only takes a few ingredients and one pan to make. I absolutely adore sauteed mushrooms and they really do make these lettuce wraps quite filling.
You just need some fresh, crispy lettuce, mushrooms sautéed in a butter sauce, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese and you have a really tasty mushroom wrap. This recipe totally works with chicken or steak to make it a little more hearty or modify the ingredients slightly and it can absolutely be vegan.
This recipe will make 6-8 mushroom wraps depending on the size of your lettuce leaves.
- Lettuce (I prefer butter lettuce but iceberg, romaine or bibb also work)
- ⅓ cup vegetable stock or white wine
- 16 oz sliced mushrooms, white or cremini
- ½ medium onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Add olive oil to a pan over medium high heat.
- Add in mushrooms and salt and pepper to taste, allow to cook about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are seared on one side. Careful not to crowd the pan.
- While mushrooms are cooking, wash and dry lettuce and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium low, mix in onion, garlic, and butter and allow to cook another 4-5 minutes or until mushrooms are completely browned. Avoid stirring so the mushrooms can really caramelize in the pan.
- Add vegetable stock, fresh thyme and reduce heat to low and allow mushrooms to simmer for about 10 minutes, just until the liquid has evaporated.
- Scoop mushrooms into lettuce leaves, sprinkle a generous amount of parmesan on top, gently roll (taco style) and enjoy!
I do make an effort to find butter lettuce because it is so soft and has smaller leaves so it makes a perfect wrap. Really any lettuce works though- romaine, iceberg or bibb lettuce are all great options.
If you decide to try this for dinner at your house, please come back and let me know how it turns out. These mushrooms are absolutely delicious on a burger, with a grilled cheese, with pasta, over scrammed eggs or on their own as a side dish.
And here are a few other dishes you might also enjoy:
Alice Springs Chicken (Outback Copycat)
PF Changs Shanghai Cucumbers recipe
Leave a Reply