Have you ever tried Alice Springs Chicken at Outback Steakhouse?
My husband loves it but we don’t often make it over to an Outback for dinner. So I make a version of this recipe at home for him and it is really very easy to make.
This involves honey mustard, cheese and mushrooms- and it comes together really quickly.
- Shredded Jack Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Fresh Mushrooms (1/2 cup per chicken breast)
- Chicken Breast (fresh or thawed)
- Honey Mustard (1 tablespoon per chicken breast)
- Chicken seasoning blend
- Bacon (1-2 slices per chicken breast)
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- You want to start by adding some house seasoning to a fresh chicken breast. Any season-all blend you might have on hand is perfect.
- Next you want to cook the bacon. I like to cook bacon in the oven in a big batch and then I keep it in Ziploc in the fridge.
- You can pound out the chicken breast first so it cooks evenly but this is not necessary.
- Saute your chicken breast in olive oil until cooked through. Be careful not to cook too long as it will dry out.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and coat with honey mustard. Depending on the size of your chicken, I would say roughly a tablespoon or two of honey mustard.
- In the same saute pan, drizzle a little olive oil over medium heat and add fresh mushrooms (about ½ cup per chicken breast). Saute mushrooms until soft and golden and cooked through.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top of the chicken breast- about a teaspoon is plenty.
- Roughly chop 2 slices of bacon and add to the top of the chicken.
- Next put the mushrooms over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the jack and cheddar cheese over the very top.
- Bake at 350° for about 15 minutes. The cheese should be all nicely melted and the chicken should be happily bubbling away with gooey cheese, crispy bacon and earthy mushrooms.
Chicken phase one with honey mustard, lemon juice and bacon:
Add the mushrooms and the shredded cheese:
And the final dish:
If you decide to try this out please let me know what you think! And Outback actually does an Alice Springs quesadilla so if you have leftovers, you can always shred the chicken and add to a tortilla and grill into a quesadilla.
Here are a few other recipes you might also enjoy:
Spinach Parmesan Balls (these are SO GOOD)