Have you ever tried Alice Springs Chicken at Outback Steakhouse?
My husband loves it but we don’t often make it over to an Outback for dinner. So I make a version of this recipe at home for him and it is really very easy to make.
This involves honey mustard, cheese and mushrooms- and it comes together really quickly.
- Shredded Jack Cheese
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Fresh Mushrooms (1/2 cup per chicken breast)
- Chicken Breast (fresh or thawed)
- Honey Mustard (1 tablespoon per chicken breast)
- Chicken seasoning blend
- Bacon (1-2 slices per chicken breast)
- Fresh lemon juice (optional)
- You want to start by adding some house seasoning to a fresh chicken breast. Any season-all blend you might have on hand is perfect.
- Next you want to cook the bacon. I like to cook bacon in the oven in a big batch and then I keep it in Ziploc in the fridge.
- You can pound out the chicken breast first so it cooks evenly but this is not necessary.
- Saute your chicken breast in olive oil until cooked through. Be careful not to cook too long as it will dry out.
- Place chicken in a baking dish and coat with honey mustard. Depending on the size of your chicken, I would say roughly a tablespoon or two of honey mustard.
- In the same saute pan, drizzle a little olive oil over medium heat and add fresh mushrooms (about ½ cup per chicken breast). Saute mushrooms until soft and golden and cooked through.
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice over the top of the chicken breast- about a teaspoon is plenty.
- Roughly chop 2 slices of bacon and add to the top of the chicken.
- Next put the mushrooms over the top of the chicken.
- Sprinkle the jack and cheddar cheese over the very top.
- Bake at 350° for about 15 minutes. The cheese should be all nicely melted and the chicken should be happily bubbling away with gooey cheese, crispy bacon and earthy mushrooms.
Chicken phase one with honey mustard, lemon juice and bacon:
Add the mushrooms and the shredded cheese:
And the final dish:
If you decide to try this out please let me know what you think! And Outback actually does an Alice Springs quesadilla so if you have leftovers, you can always shred the chicken and add to a tortilla and grill into a quesadilla.
Here are a few other recipes you might also enjoy:
Spinach Parmesan Balls (these are SO GOOD)
Copycat Chipotle Pico de Gallo
Sounds amazing! It has all my favorite things… chicken, cheese, bacon, and mushrooms. I think I’ll try it this week. You don’t have an easy way to print your recipes, do you? (I’m not on Pinterest.)
I made this tonight and it was delicious! My family and I really enjoyed this recipe. Thank you for posting it. I am a big fan if your blog. Thank you!!!
Donna- oh I am so glad! Easy too right?
this was really good! I highly recommend! Served mine with a side salad
So glad Shelly!
I made this and it was so so good! My husbands fav is outbacks alice spring chicken and he loved this!
Thank you for the recipe,it was a huge hit at my house tonight. My 5 year old said it was really good. DH went on and on about how good it was.
Oh I am so glad Shannon! Easy too right?
I tried this but used Ranch in place of Honey Mustard, because I didn’t have honey mustard. I also didn’t have bacon. BUT, my family and I really enjoyed this! Thanks for sharing it!!!
Great recipe and very easy to make!
So glad you liked it Roberta!
How much of everything do you use?
Oh my-this was delicious!!! I love that it has simple ingredients-all of which we love!! Except my daughter does not like mushrooms but it was easy to not put any on just one of the chicken breasts for her!!!
So glad to hear it Dianna!
So you cook the chicken through in olive oil first and then go back with the other ingredients and cook for another 15 minutes. This doesn’t cause it to dry out any?
Jaime- ours was not dried out. Just watch it carefully 🙂
Made this tonight for dinner. It was wonderful, my chicken was not dried out either I cooked it on low in the pan and was very juicy. Thank you for this recipe I will make it again for sure!
So glad Tammy!
Hi, I am making this right now for the 3rd or 4th time. My husband requests it! Thank You!
Oh awesome Laura! So glad to hear it!
what kind of chicken seasoning did everyone use for this recipe/
Sooo glad I found this! I told my fiance to look through my pinterest and pick anything out he wanted me to make for dinner tonight. He picked this! Making it now!
My family loved it. I threw in a little pepper jack cheese(for just a little kick) and spinach(for some color). Rounded out with steamed broccoli.
Will make this again. Thanks for sharing!
Yeah so glad Tina!
how do you cook your bacon in the oven charlene?
Oh it is so easy– here are the directions:
Geraldine Traver says
I found this tonight. I skipped the mushrooms because I didn’t have any. It was delicious! My kids told me I had to make it one of our regular dishes.
So glad to hear that Geraldine 🙂
Made it family loved it take it out sooner my cheese melted fast but was gooooood