This pumpkin spice oatmeal is absolutely perfect for fall and so simple to make. Morning time is crazy- I totally get it- but this oatmeal is so comforting and just slightly sweet and a perfect way to start the day. This recipe is 10 minutes from start to running out the door, mason jar in hand, so give it a shot and see what you think!
We have had marathon soccer weekends lately and I have been making a batch of this in the morning and this recipe makes a perfect serving size for myself and both my girls.
- 1 cup Old Fashioned Oats
- 1¾ cup milk of your choice (soy, skim, almond etc..)
- ¼ cup pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- brown sugar and pecans to top (optional)
- Bring milk to a gentle boil in a saucepan
- Add oats and reduce heat to medium.
- Stir for about 4-5 minutes until oats are cooked.
- Remove from heat and add pumpkin puree, vanilla, cinnamon and maple syrup- stir well.
- Sprinkle with pecans and brown sugar if desired.
A few notes about this recipe. I prefer a very slightly sweet oatmeal. If you want more sweetness to your oats just add a bit more maple syrup or brown sugar. I do generously sprinkle with brown sugar for the kids and I like to add a bit more milk when serving.
This recipe makes about 2 large servings of oatmeal. You can cut it in half or you can place the cooled oatmeal in a mason jar or Tupperware and save for another day. I do find this oatmeal gets just a tiny bit gummy when reheated so I like to add a bit more liquid after microwaving- either maple syrup or milk.
You can experiment with spices- I like just cinnamon but pumpkin pie spice or a little nutmeg or allspice would also be lovely.
If you decide to give this recipe a shot, please come back and let me know what you think!
Here are a few other recipes you might also enjoy:
Ruth’s Chris Sweet Potato Casserole (this is amazing!)