I know many of you are still buried in snow but it has been so beautiful in California this month, it already feels like Spring to me.
If you are also ready for Spring and sunshine and freshness, here are 10 tips to get your house ready. Most people start Spring projects once the weather actually changes but I like to get a jump start on this stuff so that once the weather does change, I am not stuck indoors with to do lists.
Here are ten simple tips to start getting ready for Spring:
1. Update your pillows. Updating the pillows on your sofa can totally transform a room. Change out the darker colors you may have had for winter and add some light, bright, airy fabrics instead. While you are at it why not change up the photos you have framed? Switch the old prints for some fun ones from last Spring or summer. I certainly don’t do this enough and it makes a big difference.
2. Fill the house with flowers. My absolutely favorite thing to buy in Spring is the 3 for $5 bunches of daffodils at the grocery store. I just started seeing these at both Whole Foods and Trader Joes and if you find these sales as well, it makes it so inexpensive to have a fresh bouquet in every room. If you aren’t seeing great deals on Spring flowers quite yet, why not grab a few indoor plants to add life and color to your rooms.
3. Set a plan for Spring cleaning. I can’t say I look forward to this but I do look forward to the end! When the sun comes out I can see every little trace of dust and dirt in the house so I always start with a deep cleaning plan for the end of winter. This year we are also doing the Life Changing Magic of Tidying Up to clear out all the clutter! The progress has been slow as it is a big process but I am absolutely loving the results so far.
4. Simplify. And speaking of clutter, why not take a few minutes and just take all the accessories and knick knacks out of a room and try adding things back in slowly and deliberately. In winter we tend to have lots of decorations and photos and accessories out so why not put all those away for a bit and see how you feel with a more minimalist home. Things always feel light and airy and fresh when I pull up some rugs, tuck away some accessories and just leave out a few simple flower arrangements and special family photos.
5. Update your fragrances for Spring. Some delicious candles in scents like lemon or mint can be perfect for Spring. We use both a diffuser and occasionally light candles for fragrance. My favorites for diffuser scents in Spring are: Spearmint, Peppermint, Lavender, Orange, Citrus Fresh and Lime.
As for candles, this Eucalyptus Mint is so yummy and I love the bright green color. I also have Watermelon Lemonade on my desk right this moment. Such a fun pop of pink in my office.
6. Pack up your car bag. Do you have kiddos in Spring sports or activities? We have soccer, ballet, tennis and cheer going right now 😉 I love to have a bag all packed and ready in the car for our activities. Here is what typically can be found in the bag:
Picnic Blanket, adult coloring book and pencils, a few small snacks, baby wipes, DIY ouch kit, bug spray
I like to have this packed so we can enjoy the weather at the park, hop in the car for a hike or stop and have a picnic at any time. Yesterday was absolutely gorgeous in my area and at the last minute I ran into Whole Foods for a pizza and lemonade, called my husband and we met after work at the park and enjoyed the gorgeous day instead of running home to cook dinner as usual and clean the house. The kids had so much fun– I snapped this quick little picture from the picnic table of the sun setting over the park. Such a lovely night and I am glad we were outdoors and enjoying it!
7. Start planning your Spring projects. Now is a great time to plan the garden, think ahead to DIY projects, landscaping and so on. Here are lots of projects to get you inspired!
8. Update the porch. I know this isn’t technically indoors but the porch is the first thing many people see when they are coming home so why not freshen things up a little? Change out your outdoor pillows, clear out any cobwebs, sweep the front walk, add some fresh plants, update the mulch, add a new wreath to the front door or just update the front welcome mat.
9. Update your bedding. As soon as things start to warm up for you, why not put away the heavy winter bedding and switch things up for lighter fabrics. All the Spring bedding is in stores so you might be inspired to grab something new or just give everything a good deep clean and swap out a few pillows or throws to make it feel fresh and new. Flip the mattress, wash all the pillows- vacuum under the bed. I put away the navy blue bedding we had in winter and brought out a pale blue duvet cover that is light and soothing for Spring. It looks like a totally new bedroom.
10. Open everything up. Even though it is still a little cool, I have been opening up all the blinds and windows and just letting the fresh air and sunshine inside. This little step lets out all the stuffy air from winter out and brings in the freshness of Spring. Last summer we added a glass screen door to the front of the house so I can have the front door open and letting in the light. I love it.
So those are my tips to jump headfirst into Spring – any other little tips or tricks you might add?
Here are a few other articles you might enjoy:
How to Properly Clean & Dry Your Pillows
12 Tips to Shop Home Goods Like a Pro
Leave a Reply