Here is a super simple homemade glass cleaner recipe you can whip together with what you likely have on hand anyway.
Yesterday was actually clean the windows day so I decided to see how well this recipe worked compared to a regular window cleaner spray I had on hand.
I have to say the homemade version seemed to work better. It really did- so I think I might just stick with this from now on!
Plus I buy the green cleaners but some of them have such heavy fragrance. I don’t like breathing in the stinky fumes and spraying that stuff all around the kiddos and the dog (oh and me too!)
So this is super easy and it did work really well for me:
- Mix equal parts vinegar and warm water.
- I used one cup warm water and 1 cup vinegar.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon dish soap (I used the magic blue Dawn soap)*
- Shake to mix in a spray bottle.
And get to cleaning! If you want to add a few drops of essential oil you can always do that too. I added a bit of Tea Tree Oil and I found the Dawn smell was a little strong so I didn’t smell the tea tree very well.
I did a bunch of windows yesterday but the little one by the front door was in especially bad shape. This little window is where our dog likes to smoosh his face and bark at the UPS driver or wait for us to get home. It gets super dirty from his nose plus the kids are always putting sticky little fingers on that window while they wait for me to unlock the door…
Anyway- TMI yet? It needed a good cleaning.
And this is the same window from the other side after a good cleaning. Much better!! There was even sticker residue on the window before from one of the children and the spray took that almost completely off.
So I would say this worked better then the window spray I had on hand. It cleaned perfectly and I actually preferred it.
Give it a try the next time you are cleaning and see what you think!
This is certainly an inexpensive alternative to regular cleaners and really my favorite thing is just eliminating one more product from the cupboards.
*If you are concerned with removing all the toxic chemicals in your home an alternative to Dawn dish soap would be Earth Friendly. You can order from Vitacost and save $10 off your first order of $30 or more.
And here are a few other articles you might enjoy:
- Easy tips to clean and freshen the dishwasher.
- Simple nontoxic drain cleaner (for bathrooms or the kitchen).
- Easy DIY Foaming hand soap or body wash.
- 2 Ingredient trick to cleaning a burned pan.
- How to keep berries fresh for longer.
- Homemade bathroom cleaners (just 3 ingredients- cheaper and more effective then what you buy at the store!)
- Homemade carpet cleaner (this is perfect to get your car smelling great!)
- Simmering home fragrance (like a Williams-Sonoma store!)