Hey its fall y’all. Ok not really- it is still 400 degrees in Sacramento and most definitely the thick of summer but I can see pumpkins everywhere and sweaters and boots in stores so I know fall will be here soon and friends I am so ready!
I have these super, super simple little pumpkin cupcakes that are so fun for fall. If you have class parties coming up or little soccer treats or whatever- these look darling and take almost no time to make.
You can make these with box cake mix in any flavor you like- I went with a yellow mix but chocolate would be great too.
I do however draw the line at the frosting- homemade buttercream frosting is just so worth the extra 3 dishes to wash and 10 minutes to make.
Here is the easy no-fail buttercream that I have made over and over and love every single time:
- 1½ cups unsalted butter, cubed and chilled
- 4oz cream cheese, cubed
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Add butter to your stand mixer and beat with paddle attachment until light and fluffy.
- Add cream cheese and mix until well incorporated.
- Add confectioner's sugar ½ cup at a time- scraping the bowl down after each addition with a spatula.
- Once you hit 2 cups of confectioner's sugar you might start tasting the frosting to see if you need more sugar. I usually like about 2½ cups to 3 cups of sugar.
- Add 1 teaspoon of vanilla and mix.
Now that is super quick and you just want to add a few drops of orange food coloring right at the end to get the shade of orange you like.
Go ahead and frost those cupcakes and you want to grab some stick pretzels and green gummy candies (pictured are Jolly Rancher Sour Bites).
Trim those candies into a leaf shape and gently break the pretzels to create the stem and leaves and go ahead and poke them gently into the top of the cupcakes.
And you can call it done with the cute pumpkins or grab some black frosting to make little Jack o Lantern faces.
Aren’t these adorable? The kids will love them.
If you decide to make these please come back and let me know how it goes!
Here are a few other recipes you might also enjoy: