I wanted to pop this recipe up just in time for those of you looking for ideas for Super Bowl this year. I have to tell you it is so simple and so good! I love this recipe for parties for two reasons- your house will smell amazing– people will run through the front door to get to the kitchen and you can grab it with one hand and there is no need to fuss with extra sauces, and plates and silverware and everything else.
In just a few minutes of prep time you will have ooey, gooey, hot cheesy pizza rolls that are so comforting. I hope you try this recipe and please come back to tell me what you think!
Please note I did this pepperoni pizza style but you can absolutely customize to anything you like. Cheese alone would be amazing, ground beef and cheese, sausage and cheese, veggies and cheese or even just plain Parmesan Herb rolls and served with salad or soup. One of these days I want to try this with an artichoke dip inside- I bet that is fantastic.
The last time I made this I was catching up on an episode of Downton Abbey and I was done about halfway through- so this probably takes 15 minutes to make. Nice right?
- Marinara Sauce
- Mozzarella Cheese- cubed
- Can of Pillsbury Biscuits
- Pepperoni- roughly chopped
- butter- about 2 tablespoons melted
- ½ cup (or more) of shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Start by preheating the oven to 375 degrees.
- Next open the biscuits and separate.
- Flatten the biscuit with your fingers to a pancake shape in your hand or roll out on a cutting board.
- Spoon a small amount of marinara sauce in the center.
- Add a small square of mozzarella and top with pepperoni slices.
- Fold the edges of the biscuit in to create a ball and pinch the edges to create a seal so the filling won't ooze out.
- Roll into a ball gently with your hands and dip into the melted butter, rolling around to coat the entire ball with butter.
- Add the seasoning mix to the shredded cheese and dip each buttered ball into the Parmesan cheese.
- Once coated with butter and cheese, lay into a buttered pie plate.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve immediately.
So a few notes about this recipe. The key to making stuffed items is not to overfill the inside so be careful that you don’t add too much cheese or sauce as it will all just ooze out and become a big mess.
I prefer to chop the pepperoni or use mini pepperoni pieces so it is easier to eat.
And as you roll the biscuts into a ball make sure to pinch the seams shut so the filling stays inside. You can see what I mean by seams in the photo above.
I actually used freshly shredded Asiago so you can substitute that for Parmesan and I picked up a small amount of Italian seasoning from the bulk bins at my grocery store. A packet seasoning mix would also work fine.
Oh and your dish will look spartan once you start filling it- I used the can of large Pillsbury biscuits which is 8 biscuits per can. Once they start to bake they will really puff up to completely fill your baking dish.
Here is the ooey gooey cheesy goodness inside:
And that is it! I think you probably could make these in advance- I would get them completely done to the state you see above and then tightly wrap with saran wrap and refrigerate and then bake once your guests start to arrive. I probably wouldn’t make these much more than a few hours in advance but you can always try it and see what happens.
And here are a few other recipes you might enjoy: