I absolutely love the Grinch– the movies and the book are always a part of our holiday. We usually wind up watching the cartoon at least once and then the Jim Carrey movie a few times a year.
I saw the idea of green cookies with little red hearts as Grinch cookies and absolutely fell in love with the idea. So fun and so cute not to mention simple and pretty darn delicious!
I decided to make my own version of these cute cookies and hopefully you like them as well for your next Grinch movie or story night.
The cookies are a simple soft sugar cookie with a yummy buttercream frosting.
I added a drop of green food coloring to the frosting and then found some adorable heart sprinkles at Michael’s that are made by Wilton. See? Easy!
Here is the sugar cookie recipe I used:
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 cups of confectioner's sugar
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Green food coloring
- Wilton heart cupcake sprinkles
- To make the cookie:
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cream together the butter and confectioner's sugar
- Add egg and mix to incorporate
- Stir in the remaining ingredients and mix well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- The dough will be very sticky so roll out on a cutting board dusted with confectioner's sugar.
- Roll into a ball and flatten slightly or cut out shapes of your choice and place on a cookie sheet.
- Bake about 8 minutes until the sides are just starting to turn golden brown.
- For the frosting, mix butter, food coloring and sugar and frost cookies once cooled.
- Top with one little heart.
So there you go! Wouldn’t this be adorable for class parties too?
And if you need additional cookie inspiration, check out these Melting Snowman cookies:
Have you made these yourself? Wondering how they taste with no flavoring. Vanilla? Almond? Lemon? Maybe the butter is enough to do the trick. Would love to know how they taste 😉
Denise- LOL of course I made them myself. Where else would I get the recipe and the photos? 😀
They taste like a yummy soft sugar cookie. You can add additional flavors if you like- a small amount to the cookie dough and to the frosting would be fine. Almond extract would be great or maybe lemon. I would probably omit the vanilla if you prefer another flavoring 🙂
Ashley L says
love all things grinch – these look delicious