I wanted to make a little treat for the World Cup games and since it is 150 degrees in Sacramento, I went with a popsicle.
I wanted a blue and green color scheme since the girls were making these to eat with their Dad. (Any sport that is on TV they think is the Seahawks… He might be watching baseball, golf, soccer, professsional bowling… if ESPN is on then you can bet one of them will say in an exasperated voice “Oh Mom! Daddy is watching the Seahawks AGAIN.” ) And since they are little girls, colors are very important to them so green and blue to watch sports with Dad. Period.
So we wandered the aisles of the store looking for blue and green options and stumbled upon Hawaiian Punch in blue and in a green color. The girl’s eyes nearly popped out of their heads when I popped these into the cart since I basically never buy this kind of juice- but hey! Sometimes you have to live a little and I remember growing up on water from a hose in summer and lots of Kool Aid and I turned out pretty darn OK ;).
So we came home with our Hawaiian Punch and put these popsicles together in a few minutes and I think they turned out so pretty! And they were a very big hit with Dad and the little ladies so score point #2 for Mommy!
Here is the easy peasy recipe- this method makes the pretty ombre color to your Popsicles. You can also create more pronounced layers by skipping the step to blend your juices together.
- Hawaiian Punch- Polar Blast
- Hawaiian Punch- Green Berry
- Popsicle Mold
- or Dixie Cups and popsicle sticks
- Pour a layer of blue Hawaiian Punch into the bottom of a Dixie cup or into your mold.
- You will use one Dixie cup for each popsicle.
- Put in the freezer for about 30 minutes, until the layer has started to freeze, but isn't quite solid.
- Remove from freezer and insert popsicle sticks.
- Return to freezer and freeze until layer is solid.
- Add a layer of green Hawaiian Punch.
- Put in freezer for about 30 minutes, until layer has started to freeze.
- Add in some blue Hawaiian Punch and allow to sit for a minute, so that it can mix together.
- Return to freezer and freeze until solid.
- Add a final layer of green Hawaiian Punch and freeze until solid.
Easy right? You can do this in any color combination or flavor combination or try layering fresh fruit in different colors with lemonade or coconut juice. Delish!
And here are a few other things you might enjoy: