I decided for Father’s Day I would post a recipe that my husband loves. We make this a lot during summer. It is super fast and much healthier then standard ice cream or sorbets.
This has just 3 ingredients and doesn’t require an ice cream machine- so super easy!
- 2 limes
- 4 cups chopped seedless watermelon
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- Mix the sugar and water together in a pan and cook on medium for about 5 minutes until sugar is dissolved. Set aside.
- Add 4 cups of watermelon to a blender and puree.
- Squeeze juice from one lime into the puree and add the simple syrup.
- Mix and pour into a casserole dish (9x9 is a great size)
- Place in freezer for 4 hours.
- Remove from freezer and add back into the blender until smooth. I like to add the juice of one more lime to make the blending easier.
Here is what your sorbet will look like once you take it out of the freezer. I just mash it up with a fork and then put it in the blender for a second quick puree.
This is so easy- all summer I usually have bowls of chopped watermelon in the fridge anyway and right now watermelon is so inexpensive this is super budget friendly.
The secret to making an amazing watermelon sorbet is super ripe watermelon. This is a great way to use up watermelon right before it starts to go bad.
My husband was actually making lunch today and I had this done, in the freezer and the dishes loaded in the dishwasher before he made sandwiches. So it really is very fast and easy to make.
If you decide to try this recipe be sure to come back and let me know what you think!
This post is part of the 30 Days to a Funner Summer Series.
You can catch up with the entire series by click below:
- Day 1: Get Organized! How to organize children’s activity bags.
- Day 2: End of Year Surprises for Children
- Day 3: Strawberry Lemon Slushie Recipe
- Day 4: Homemade Hamburger Seasoning to AMP up your burgers
- Day 5: How to make Giant Bubble Solution
- Day 6: How to Save Money on Road Trips
- Day 7: How to Create a Summer Schedule.
- Day 8: How to make a GIANT water bed (this is so fun!)
- Day 9: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Day 10: 8 Ways to Get Outdoors this Summer
- Day 11: How to Calm a Child’s Room
- Day 12: How to Make Movie Night More Fun
Sounds yummy! I’m going to try this out. Thanks!
Nice idea to use of water melon
Do you think you could make the simple syrup with splenda? To make is sugar free?
Tawndee- I don’t actually use Splenda or any artificial sweeteners so I am not familiar with the flavor. I think you could just do watermelon and a bit of lime and see if that is good :).
Pinned. I will have to give this a try. We love to eat watermelon in the summer and this will be a nice change. Would love if you shared this on the Merry Monday Link Party.
Sydney @ Tastefully Frugal says
This looks delightful! Especially in this hot summer heat! Pinning!!
Sounds delicious. We love watermelon and this looks so cool and refreshing for the hottest summer days. Thanks for sharing.
Stopping by to visit from the Cook It! Craft It! Share It! Party… I love the combination of watermelon and lime! This sounds so refreshing and perfect for the summer.
This looks so tasty! Thanks for stopping by and linking up at #PartyTime!
Ricki @ The Questionable Homesteader says
Thanks for sharing at The Weekend Social, I’m looking forward to seeing you again next Thursday at 9pm EST at http://www.thequestionablehomesteader.com for another installment of The Weekend Social.
Bill @thewoksoflife says
Will have to try this simple recipe – looks like it may just be really nice!
Wow looks so good. Love watermelon, but never tried it as sorbert, thanks
Julie V. says
I have pinned this for later. Thanks for sharing
Susana Lopez says
how long can you keep it in the freezer? like say i made it put it in the freezer the night before, and wanted to serve it at a party the next day.