Have you tried roasted chick peas? They are so delicious, healthy and a really inexpensive snack. You might try these if you have children too- I was surprised that my kids liked these quite a bit.
Now for this recipe I used a Ranch Seasoning packet to make it really fast and very appealing to the kids. I have some alternate ideas for flavors at the bottom if you prefer not to use seasoning packets.
These chickpeas are a great alternative to chips or crackers. You can also use them to top salads for extra protein and crunch.
Here is the quick and easy recipe:
- 2 tablespoons. of Olive Oil (or vegetable oil*)
- 2 tsp. dill
- ½ packet of ranch seasoning (or less depending on how much seasoning you like)
- 1 15 oz. can of garbanzo beans
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. **If substituting Vegetable Oil- preheat to 400 degrees.
- Open your garbanzo beans and rinse well.
- Pat dry on paper towels.
- In a medium bowl combine your oil, ranch seasoning and the 2 tsp. of dill.
- Add Ranch according to your taste- ½ packet might be fine for some and a full packet might be better for others.
- Mix well.
- Add in the garbanzo beans and completely coat with the oil and seasoning mixture.
- You want this to be crispy so make sure to drain off any excess oil.
- You might need to add just a tiny bit more if 2 tablespoons doesn’t seem like quite enough.
- Pour onto a cookie sheet and spread out evenly (I line my cookie sheet with parchment paper for easy clean up.)
- Bake for approximately 30-40 minutes. If you use vegetable oil instead, cook for 20-25 minutes.
- The chickpeas will turn golden brown but keep an eye on them so they do not burn.
And if you prefer not to use seasoning packets, the sky is the limit with flavors. A little lime juice and chili powder and sea salt would be delicious. You can also try sea salt and vinegar, cinnamon and sugar… really whatever you like on chips or snack crackers would be great!
If you already make these chickpeas, I’d love to hear what flavors you use.
Otherwise give these a shot and please come back to let me know what you think !
And if you like this recipe, you might also like these: