Dec
2013

Easy Homemade Hand Scrub {DIY Satin Hands}

12/18/2013. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

Homemade Sugar Hand Scrub

I have seen sugar hand scrub recipes many times in the past in magazines and on tv and such.  I finally got around to experimenting with a few myself and I was so pleased with the results.  I really do recommend trying one of these scrubs out – I bet you are hooked!

I do crafts with the kiddos and DIY projects all the time so my fingers are quite regularly covered in paint or glue or glitter…  Plus I get dry hands in winter from washing them so often and then there are always those cooking odors- onion and such that can stick to your hands even after washing.

So this is something for sure I would recommend that you try and see what you think!  My original intent in making these hand scrubs was to get a little gift for a neighbor that is an avid gardener.  I didn’t want to spend a lot but I did want to give her something she might actually use.  I liked this so much after experimenting, I am going to keep a jar on the kitchen sink for myself from now on!

So here are two recipes to try depending on what you preference is.  These are both very easy and very inexpensive to make.

I don’t have exact measurements for you on all the items because the container/jar you use will not be uniform in size.  Trust me though that this is really so simple- my 6 year old helped me with this and she could have actually done it all by herself.

Lemon Sugar hand Scrub

Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub

Add about 2/3 of  sugar to a jar or container of your choice (whatever sugar you have in the pantry is fine).
Next mix in about 1/4 cup of either coconut oil* or olive oil. This varies depending on the size of your container so the idea is not quite 1/3 of the container to be the liquid. It is best to ad the liquid slowly and stir with a knife as you go.

Your final consistency should be semi-dry- like sand that is just a little damp.

Next squeeze the juice of one fresh lemon or approximately a tablespoon of lemon juice into your jar. Stir well.

You will need to make adjustments at this point to get the right texture. This should be nice and creamy and not too dry but yet not runny. So continue to add more sugar and or more lemon juice/ oil until it looks like a thick hand cream.

And that is it!

*I used coconut oil and if it is in a solid state you just want to pop it in the micro for a few seconds to get it to melt to liquid form. Not too hot- just about 20 seconds or so. I didn’t get a ton of fragrance from this scrub so you can always add a few drops of essential oil if you like and stir well. Lemon or rosemary fragrance would be lovely!

I liked this scrub a lot and I love the freshness of the lemon and the pretty color of the mixture. I did find a very tiny bit of a greasy feeling on my hands after washing from the coconut oil. I think I am hyper sensitive to any sort of greasiness and I don’t like about 80% of the lotions on the market for this reason so it is probably something that most people wouldn’t notice.

DIY Satin Hands from Mary Kay

Homemade Mary Kay Satin Hands

This next sugar scrub I really loved and it is even easier to make! We did this awhile back in MOPS and I wound up giving away the jar that I made. Now I wish I had kept it!

To make this recipe takes 2 ingredients:

• Dawn Hand Renewal Dish Soap (this was $.88 at my local CVS)
  • Pure cane sugar (or whatever you have in the pantry)
  • Essential Oils- optional

The process is identical. Just dump about 2/3 of your container full of sugar. Next add the Dawn Dish Soap in slowly until you get the right texture. Approximately 1/3 of the final product is going to be Dawn.

Don’t get nervous about quantity because you really can’t mess this up.  If you use more sugar the scrub will be grainier on your hands and if you use too little sugar it will just be a bit silkier.  So really no matter what there will be a nice result.

Now the Dawn is great for many reasons- it is a soap so your hands are getting extra clean. It also has magical properties for softening hands (whatever stuff they ad in is really nice), it comes out this pretty light pink color and it has a nice smell.

So you could use other varieties of dish soap but this is the one that is the best because of the extra hand softening magic in the bottle.

I found it easier to stir with a knife instead of a spoon and again just add more sugar or add more Dawn until it gets to be the right consistency.

If you want to add a few drops of essential oils that works– a citrus fragrance, Jasmine, Lavender or Rose would be great.  The Dawn already smells wonderful in my opinion so I skip this step.

And that is it!! Add the lid and pop on a bow and you are good to go!

This would be a great hostess gift, something for Mom or add it to a gift basket.   You will probably want to keep some on your own sink year round.

To give you a very rough idea I used about 3 oz of Dawn when I made the container you see above.  That container was from some farmstand jam we bought over the summer and I just repurposed the little jar it came in.  I am guessing it is an 8oz jar.

Here is the final product- just use a spoon or your fingers to scoop a bit out, rub over your hands and wash! You can follow up with a hand lotion or skip that because the soap is moisturizing.

Update:  Prices can change at any time, but if you are looking for jars for your scrubs there is a great deal on Mason jars from Amazon here.  Get the quilted jars for just $.58 each!  A great deal if you want to make these for gifts.

Homemade Sugar Hand Scrub

I hope you will consider following me on Pinterest for more fun projects.

Here are some other things you might like:

Homemade Bath Bombs Recipe

Homemade Oatmeal Bath Fizzies

Homemade body butter recipe

Homemade Body Butter-- just like the Body Shop

Fresh Raspberries with White Chocolate- so simple and absolutely delicious

Quick and Easy White Chocolate Raspberries - after all you might want a treat after making all those lovely products!

Renea December 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM

I am having the separation issues as well. But I’ve been messing with all my jars everyday. I will let you know if I find the right direction to go to get the right consistency! I’m glad I’m not the only one having this issue. I have three little boys and we panted baby food jars to give out as Christmas presents and I would hate to have done all that work for nothing!

Charlene December 9, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Well I don’t see why you did “all that work for nothing”. If you use a small jar and the soap is separate from the sugar is it not possible to simply scoop a small amount of soap with sugar with your fingers? Or can you not simply stir it? I am having trouble understanding why the mixture would be a waste if it is separate- it doesn’t seem like a very big deal to me. Or just try the lemon scrub instead. Problem solved :)

Tessia Lewis December 9, 2014 at 7:58 PM

do you think it would be acceptable to substitute lemon juice for fresh squeezed orange juice? I would love to have a orange hand scrub, but I’m not sure if it would mess up the consistency.

Kelli December 9, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I understand where she’s coming from because I myself didn’t want to give somebody something that looked funny and the separation to me looks funny and I would rather have it be more perfect

Charlene December 9, 2014 at 8:13 PM

You know Orange essential oil might be a good option Tessia. It is very inexpensive to buy- I use therapeutic grade (Young Living) but you could also use something like Aura Cacia-

Charlene December 9, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Hi Kelli- hmm.. homemade items are hard to get to be completely perfect. The separation doesn’t seem to be a big deal to me but if it makes you upset just try the other scrub. I am going to make this again and I will see if I find the separation issue. Usually I use it in summer and I haven’t noticed anything but I’ll try again.

Cindi December 9, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I just made a batch of the Dawn/white sugar scrub. Added a bit of citrus essential oil and a bit of “fragrance grade” coloring. I’ve placed in rubber sealed jars tonight and will check in the morning for separation issue. Also put the leftover next to my bathroom sink uncovered to see if it turns to stone overnight. Hope it works out. I’ll be giving as a gift this weekend, I might add tongue depressors so it’s easy to stir in case it needs it. Thanks for the instructions!!

Tabitha Doyle December 12, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I made some. Just Dawn renewing dish soap and regular white sugar. I finally got mine to a good consistency, but mine would get a little hard on top. ??? I take a butter knife and stir and it’s ok. IDK what’s going on. It made my hands VERY soft, but noticed my hands felt a LITTLE dry afterwards. Instead of adding the oil to it (which I feel by reading through the comments, may cause more separating issues) I just bought little plastic craft containers and squirted some of my Bath & Body Works aromatherapy stress relief lotion in each one. I will attach a note to the gifts, telling the recipients to apply the lotion after the scrub….. my hands felt AMAZING after I did this!

Delanie December 12, 2014 at 11:51 AM

I made the Mary Kay satin hands.
You have to change the molecular structure of the soap so that it does not separate. The way I found to do this is mix all the ingredients in a stand mixer. I whipped the ingredients until stiff peaks formed. After doing this the mixture does not separate. It worked good for me so far give it a try if you like!

Charlene December 12, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Great tip Delanie- I will absolutely try that :)

Charlene December 12, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Tabitha- is it really cold where you live? I live in California so we don’t get really cold weather but that is likely why you get the hardness.

Jodi December 13, 2014 at 9:59 AM

Hi Charlene! I received some of the Mary Kay version homemade hand scrub as a gift last year and I love it!! It smooths my rough skin and makes my hands feel very soft. It does separate ever so slightly, but I couldn’t see the separation until I opened the jar…I just stir a little before scooping out what I want to use. I like it so much that I plan on making this for gifts this year. I may try to find little wooden scoops to attach to the jar as well. Thanks for the great post and advice on adding some essential oils. :-)

Charlene December 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Awesome Jodi so glad to hear it! I haven’t had time to whip the product as the other reader suggested but I am hoping to do that this weekend and I will update the post with my results :)

melissa December 19, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I will try the coconut one for sure. Coconut actually has great antimicrobial properties. I use it to make toothpaaste with and it never seperates. Its made my teeth whiter within a week healed 2 cavities and my teeth are no longer sensitive. I also usually “oil pull” with it and it keeps my mouth fresh without the weird chemicals in a lot of mouthwashes. (Oil pulling is just getting the coconut oil in your mouth and swishing for awhile then spitting). You can rub it in your hair and make it soft and shiny only a tiny bit is needed so it doesn’t leave to much in the hair and make it look oily, unless you want a “wet look”. Also great to rub straight on the skin. I work in a foundry and have extra extra dry skin. It was a life saver! Just google uses for cocnut oil. Also recommend virgin cold pressed organic since it hasn’t been as refined and has more nutrients left in it. Ps the greasy feel absorbs relatively quickly. Thanxx for reading :)

Christine December 22, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Delanie is right, I’ve been making the Satin Hands Dawn sugar scrub for a couple of years now and I like to whip it up so it’s frothy and airy. This year I paired it with some homemade whipped body butter and called it “Sateen Hands”

Charlene December 22, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Hi Christine- I actually did try it and the whipped version is something different- sateen is a good word. It did separate for me though from the bottom rather than the top.

Doreen Williams December 22, 2014 at 9:33 AM

Hi i made the sugar scrub with the Oil of Olay daw.n and when I woke up in the morning it had separated. the sugar and the dawn separated into two parts in the bowl. I’m kind of freaking out because I wanted to give it as a gift to people and I’m not sure what I did wrong. if you could please help me before Christmas I appreciate it thank you in advance!

Charlene December 22, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Doreen,

I am sorry you are so upset. The product works perfectly. It does seem to have some separation so simply mix it up and put it in a jar and gift it to your recipient. They can simply scoop a small amount of soap and sugar with their fingers when they would like to use it. No big deal. The product works perfectly well. If that is unacceptable you can whip the mixture in a mixing bowl but you will still have slight separation from the bottom. Again not a big deal as the product works beautifully. You can also just give the product with a small spoon for them to stir briefly if they really feel the need or just make the lemon scrub instead. I am sorry that I am not seeing a reason to freak out. If you have a large bowl full of sugar and Dawn, the problem might seem to be a little bigger than it really is. In a small jar or mason jar it won’t be as noticeable and I bet people love the product.