May
2013

Easy Homemade Cold Brewed Iced Coffee Recipe

05/21/2013. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

Homemade Cold Brewed Iced Coffee

I posted an iced coffee recipe about two years ago and wanted to update it with the little changes I have made since.

I love iced coffee during the summer and this saves me about $4 a pop because I can skip that Starbucks drive-thru.  This is really easy to whip up at home to suit your tastes exactly.  I like to make about 2 weeks worth of coffee at a time but the quantity will really depend on how strong you like your coffee.

This is a cold brew method of making iced coffee.  I personally find a huge difference in richness and flavor when I take the few minutes to brew this way instead of brewing hot coffee and then putting it over ice or in the fridge.   This really does just take a few minutes and then you can have this in a pitcher in the fridge to drink anytime you like.

Here is the simple recipe:

Add 1 Cup Strong Coffee to a large bowl or container (I like Cafe Bustelo coffee but use the brand you like best).  This is just dry ground coffee straight from the bag.

And Add 6 cups of water (add 5 cups if you like VERY strong coffee or 8 cups water if you prefer a lighter coffee)

Combine and cover the container and let sit at least 8 hours (overnight is best).  Your time investment so far is about 2 minutes or so.

Once you remove the cover it is important to strain out the grounds.  Use a mesh strainer with cheesecloth or a coffee filter inside or even paper towels in a pinch and pour the bowl of coffee over that and into your pitcher.

Here is how I do it- just a bit of cheesecloth over the mouth of my pitcher.  (Coffee filters work just as well and are less expensive- I use 2 or 3.)  Make sure you use a few layers so you really filter out all the grounds.  You don’t want a big bite of that black sludgy stuff in your cup and one coffee filter or thin cheesecloth or a paper towel is going to let a bunch of grounds through.  This should take about 5 minutes or so.

Now enjoy your pitcher of gorgeous cold brewed coffee!

Mix with half and half, condensed milk, coconut milk and a tiny bit of brown sugar or I like it with just milk and a little squirt of chocolate syrup as a DIY Iced Mocha or just a bit of almond milk.

Here is my pitcher with a bit of cheesecloth to filter the grounds or I rest a strainer on the lid of a large mason jar and put a few coffee filters inside that and then pour the grounds through.  Easy!

Perfect homemade iced coffee

If you really want to go all out (or you want to make your coffee in advance) you might want to pour some of that coffee into ice cube trays and freeze.  Pop them out and use that instead of ice cubes to avoid getting a watered down drink.

And here is another recipe you might enjoy:

Starbucks Copycat Passion Tea Lemonade Recipe

Homemade Iced Coconut Latte Recipe

Homemade Coconut Iced Latte

Skinny Mocha Smoothie - perfect pre workout drink or afternoon pick me up!

Skinny Mocha Smoothie

Starbucks Cinnamon Dulce Syrup Recipe

Copycat Cinnamon Dolce Syrup Recipe - just like Starbucks and delish with iced coffee and milk!

Sara May 21, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Thank you for posting! I love iced coffee!

Rosie @ Blueberry Kitchen May 23, 2013 at 3:58 PM

I’m a total coffee addict and this sounds amazing! Thanks so much for the recipe idea!

Kate May 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Thank you for the money saving recipes! Your pictures are beautiful! I absolutely love your crock steele cut oats recipe…

Charlene May 25, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Oh my photos are dreadful but thank you Kate :). I am trying hard to take better photos- it is actually pretty challenging. I am so glad you liked that recipe! I am playing with a breakfast Quinoa right now too for an overnight breakfast.

Joyce Hawkinson May 29, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I have a delicious recipe for baked quinoa that gets refrigerated overnight. Every time I make it people ask for the recipe. I’d be happy to share if you email me directly.

Charlene May 29, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Joyce,

I would love it- thank you! I will email you shortly.

Barbie June 8, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Quick question Charlene—the water you pour over the grounds…cold or room temperature are best?

Charlene June 8, 2013 at 9:21 PM

Barbie, I just use cold water. It is the cold brew method so I think probably cold is best.

Rachel April 27, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Thanks for all your great posts! I just made your Creamy Chicken Taco Crock Pot recipe and the Power Oatmeal Bars are in the oven!! Now to make some coffee! Do you put it in the fridge for the 8 hours or so it is brewing?

Charlene April 27, 2014 at 5:45 PM

LOL– I didn’t post any Oatmeal bars :). If they are good I will take credit though :D.

I leave it on the counter Rachel but you can put it in the fridge. I don’t think it matters :)

Rachel April 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Thanks Charlene! Opps! The oatmeal bars were a pinterest recipe! If you’re interested its here: :)http://www.modernparentsmessykids.com/2013/07/project-organize-your-lunch-oatmeal-to-go-bars.html

Amanda April 27, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I wonder if this would be good with a splash of flavored liquid creamer? Has anyone tried it that way?

Charlene April 27, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Amanda- yes absolutely. I use a really strong coffee almost like espresso so I prefer a bit more milk but I would add whatever you like :).

Charlene April 27, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Hm.. that sounds good but looks a little dense. How did yours turn out?

Kylie May 2, 2014 at 10:05 PM

How long does this coffee stay good in the fridge? (:

Charlene May 2, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Kylie, several weeks is fine.

Kristin June 1, 2014 at 10:25 AM

I’ve used this method before and it’s awesome. If someone wants to make quick iced coffee in the morning before work (and doesn’t have the 8 hours to let the grounds sit)– right when I get up (so 45 minutes before I leave) I brew a regular pot of coffee (a little stronger than usual). I fill an insulated tumbler about 3/4 of the way with the coffee and put it in the fridge to cool down some. Right before I leave, I grab the tumbler, put coffee ice cubes and my sweetener in it, and fill the other 1/4 with milk.

Melissa June 1, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Can you please post a link for the creamy taco crock pot recipe that sounds great!

Charlene June 1, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Hi Melissa- it is the easiest recipe and so good. I did this one a long time ago when my photography was mortifying :). So please excuse the dreadful photos.

Charlene June 1, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Kristin- that is an easy way to get a fast fix. The cold brewed method really does make a huge difference and in total you probably spend 10 minutes making your coffee. If you can possibly find the 2 minutes to put the grounds and water in a container and then the extra 5 minutes or so to strain after it brews I think you will notice a big difference. I keep a big mason jar in the fridge and then I can pour and go all week.

Ella June 1, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Can’t wait to try this recipe…iced coffee from home. Thanks in advance

Charlotte June 2, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Could I put this through the french press in lieu of cheesecloth?

Charlene June 2, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Charlotte- yes absolutely. Someone else commented on that on Facebook. I personally do not have a French Press so I just use coffee filters and a stariner most of the time but if you have a french press that should work perfectly.

Suze R. June 2, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I use my strainer with paper coffee filters since I don’t have cheesecloth handy. Works great.

Lauren B July 22, 2014 at 8:00 AM

What a good idea!! How long would a big pitcher of the coffee in the fridge last??

Charlene July 22, 2014 at 1:13 PM

Several weeks Lauren ;)

Laura July 22, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Making this tonight for tomorrow. Do you put the container in the fridge or can it sit out overnight room temp.

Thanks!

Charlene July 22, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Laura- I keep it on the counter to brew and once it is done, I put it in the fridge :)