This is one of my favorite cookies for the holidays. It is a pretty simple sugar cookie with chai concentrate mixed in to give it just a hint of chai flavor.
Something a little different and a perfect homemade cookie to pass along to friends and family. These are delicious to have with a Latte, Chai Tea or hot chocolate and actually my children love these.
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3 tablespoon Chai concentrate
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- 3-6 tablespoons Chai Concentrate (depending on your preference, I like more Chai in mine)
- Mix powdered sugar and butter in a mixer until creamy.
- Add egg and mix to incorporate.
- Add Chai concentrate and mix well.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Lightly grease cookie sheet.
- You can roll the cookies out on a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar and cut them into shapes or simply roll into small balls and then flatten slightly with your fingers.
- Place on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake 7 to 8 minutes or until edges are light brown.
- Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir well until creamy. Frost cookies once cooled.
This recipe makes about 24 cookies. If you are in a rush, you don’t need to chill the dough for the full 2 hours. I have actually made these without chilling at all and they turn out fine- the dough will be just a little sticky as you form it into shapes.
*If you are not familiar with Chai concentrate, it can be found for about $3.00 in the tea section of most stores. I typically see the concentrates on the bottom shelf.
And if you give these a shot please come back and let me know what you think!
Sugar Cookie recipe adapted from Betty Crocker.
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy: