Aug
2010

New Walgreens Coupon Policy

08/26/2010. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

Well this is very interesting.  To be honest I thought I’d never see the day that we got a nice coupon policy from Walgreens IN PRINT and actually on their web site!!  I think Walgreens might be the store I get the most complaints about so I am very happy to see this.

You can find the coupon policy here at Walgreens.com.

A few notes:

* The number of coupons may not exceed the number of items.  We all know that of course and why fillers are needed at Walgreens.

*”In the event that any item’s selling price is less than the value of the coupon, Walgreens will only accept the coupon in exchange for the selling price of the item. Coupon redemption can never exceed the selling price of an item and no cash back is ever provided in exchange for any coupons.”  YEAH!  So they CAN and SHOULD adjust a coupon down.  This is such a pain when you have a .99 item and a $1 coupon in particular and I have found one in ten cashiers will actually adjust down for you.  The rest just say no.

*”When purchasing a single item, Walgreens accepts one manufacturer coupon and applicable Walgreens coupon(s) for the purchase of a single item, unless prohibited by either coupon offer.”  I have had several questions about stacking coupons at Walgreens.  The confusion seems to stem from the fact that some Walgreens coupon book coupons say “Manufacturer coupon” at the top.  They are indeed store coupons and can be stacked.

*”When purchasing multiple items, Walgreens accepts multiple identical coupons for multiple qualifying items as long as there is sufficient stock to satisfy other customers, unless a limit is specified. Management reserves the right to limit the quantity of items purchased.”  Some of you have had issues with this as well and it sounds like the store can determine how many you buy.

AND BEST OF ALL:

*”When items are featured in a Buy One, Get One Free promotion, up to two coupons can be used against the items being purchased, as long as the net price does not go below zero for the items being purchased.”  So you absolutely CAN use a Buy One Get One coupon on a Buy One Get One sale and get both items free.  You just need to pay tax!

What do you guys think?  Will this help clear up any unpleasantness at your stores?  I have to say even with this policy I still get jittery shopping at Walgreens.

Charlene July 25, 2011 at 12:40 PM
Shellye August 8, 2011 at 1:22 PM

Went to a different Walgreen’s than I normally shop at and the cashier told me they were no longer allowing stacking of coupons, that it was only one coupon per item. I am pretty sure she misinterpreted the policy, but they were making customers buy a .33 caramel candy to serve as a filler. I didn’t want the candy, and didn’t need a filler item, so I just put my toilet paper back (the Cottonelle that was on sale last week) and left. I have now printed out WAGs coupon policy to carry in my coupon holder so I can pull it out if and when this happens again. Thanks for the information!

Brandy August 22, 2011 at 3:01 PM

I have a question about Walgreens and bogo coupon/sale. I had a b1g1 coupon the retail value on the coupon said up to 4.49 retail value. They were having a bogo sale on the item. The item on sale was 6.99. It was the stayfree pads last week. they told me that they could not give to me for free because the coupon said only up to the 4.49 price value. so should they have adjusted the price down so I could get for free? they made me pay the difference of the coupon. I did not think that was right but wanted ask. thank you!

Charlene August 22, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Brandy if the item is $6.99 they would not adjust the price of the product. Coupons can be adjusted down to match the price of the product but not the other way around. Your store was right- the coupon can only be honored up to whatever the value is- so $4.49 in this case.

Brandy August 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Ok thank you so much for your help :)

heather September 4, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Manager told me I had to wait until tomorrow to use my register rewards because she had just given them to me. I didn’t even try to do several transactions in a row. I paid for my items and put them into my car went back in to use the RRs for another transaction and was was told she couldnt accept the register rewards.

Charlene September 4, 2011 at 7:30 PM

Dumb Heather. What a dumb rule and not policy. I guess they are just trying to make it hard for people to buy a lot of the same item in the same trip.

Chaniki December 21, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Hello,

I am new to this and have about 2 prescriptions to fill at Walgreens that I donot have enough money for. Can someone tell me how does the coupons work for prescriptions or how do I get a coupon

Jennifer Nance January 22, 2012 at 9:21 AM

Hi – I have a question that maybe you can answer for me. In the past, if you had to buy, say $20 worth of items to get a RR, if I reduce that $20 with coupons, the RR does not print. The store manager said you actually have to spend the $20, so you can still use coupons, but the $20 amount has to be AFTER coupons. From some of the Walgreens deals you suggest, that is not the case. Have you had this issue before? Thanks!

Susan February 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

I have a question, BOGO Free….
example – this week’s GOT2B are BOGO Free @ $5.99 each…
My total will come to $5.99 for two. If I use 2 coupons, $3 off…(Total of $6.00) – My coupon will exceed by $0.01. Can they adjust the coupon down? (coupon 1 for $3.00 and coupon 2 for $2.99)….

Charlene February 13, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Susan, the coupon policy for most stores is to adjust the coupon down. At Walgreens that is the coupon policy:

Getting the store to follow the policy and actually do it can be a little challenging though.

Choua October 27, 2012 at 8:20 PM

For walgreen they will not give you an RR if your total cost is not $20 after coupons.

Arienne November 10, 2012 at 1:23 PM

The new computer cash registers in my area will not allow a second coupon on a BOGO item. I had to show the store manager my coupon policy and that was not enough. He made me wait while he went to his office and printed the coupon polocy himself. The manager always has to overide the coupons during a BOGO transaction.

Why can’t Walgreen’s make their computers match their coupon policy.

Does anyone else have this problem at Walgreens! I live near Richmond VA.

Thanks,
Ariennne

Shannon November 24, 2012 at 5:31 PM

My Walgreens will not accept a $3 register reward for a $2.99 item. Is this right? Or should the RR be adjusted down to 2.99 because it is a manufacturer’s coupon? Thanks!

Charlene November 24, 2012 at 5:43 PM

Shannon, You can always ask because maybe you have a nice store but I have always had to go over the amount myself.

kellie kennedy January 12, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Quick question. I understand that if the store has buy one get one free then I can use a buy one get one free coupon and get both items for free. What is it is buy one get one 50% off? Can I use 2 buy one get one free coupons and get both of them for free instead of having to pay the 50% off of the second item?

Thanks … the sale ends today!
Kellie

Charlene January 12, 2013 at 3:39 PM

No Kellie in that situation you lose really because you can use one coupon and the free item would be the 50% off item. So you would pay for one item only and it would the full price one. It doesn’t usually work out to be a very good deal because depending on the store they can occasionally jack the price up to make it seem better then it is. Hope that makes sense.

Kellie Kennedy January 13, 2013 at 9:38 AM

In this case they were only charging me the 50% off price. They covered the full price one … So that’s good! I was just wondering if I could use the two buy one get one free to off set both! Thanks for the clarification! I left the store to come home and research it! I didn’t want to look silly arguing an incorrect point. Thanks again

Jerome September 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

As a Walgreen Manager, I would like to inform some you Walgreen do not post there entire policy online including their website. Therefore, some of the answers being given to questions that is being ask is not policy.

Charlene September 20, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Jerome, Customers can only go by what Walgreens publishes as an official coupon policy. If there are secret policies they aren’t willing to make customers aware of… well that doesn’t seem like very good business practices. We can’t read minds ;).