So Dr Seuss’s birthday is March 2nd and that always brings so many fun Dr Seuss inspired crafts and treats!
The wealth of books is remarkable and there are so many activities you can do with your children that are quick and easy.
What I love most about Dr Seuss is that the books are so silly and so colorful- it makes getting the important messages across much more fun!
So one of our favorite movies and books is The Lorax. I have the cutest little cupcakes for you to check out. These go perfectly with the book and movie and I can’t wait to surprise my girls with these this weekend for Family Movie Night!
I think these would be absolutely adorable for any class parties celebrating Dr. Seuss’s birthday or if you might be planning a birthday party with this theme.
Most of these things you probably already have on hand but the little cookies and the cotton candy can actually be found at the Dollar Store!
- 1 boxed cake mix
- 1 recipe buttercream frosting (recipe follows)
- Green food coloring or Wilton Icing Color (I used Green Leaf)
- 2 packages of Pirouline cookies
- 1 container cotton candy
- Buttercream Frosting:
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar
- ¾ Cup Butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1-2 TBS milk
- For frosting:
- Beat the butter and powdered sugar together with mixer (use whip attachment if using a stand mixer).
- Add vanilla.
- Mix in milk --1 tsp at a time until desired consistency.
- Prepare cake mix as directed on package.
- Spray cupcake liners with non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake as directed and cool on wire rack.
- Reserve ½ cup of frosting, and tint the remaining frosting green.
- Place green frosting into prepared decorating bag, fitted with a star tip.
- Starting at the top of each cupcake, frost with a zig zag pattern from top to bottom, covering the entire cupcake.
- Just before serving:
- Gently cut Pirouline cookies in half with a serrated knife.
- Dip the tip of each half into the white frosting and top with a quarter sized pull of cotton candy.
- Be careful not to handle the cotton candy, as any moisture will cause it to harden or dissolve.
- Gently press two cookies into the top of each cupcake.
- And they are ready to go!
And here is an image from the movie if you haven’t seen it- so you can see where the inspiration for the trees came from.
(photo credit: Universal Pictures)
You can skip the cupcakes if you don’t want that much of a treat and just do the little cookie and cotton candy trees. That would be very simple and fast and still really fun.
And if you would like to pick up the Lorax book before the weekend- the hardcover books are $10 this week at Target or get it from Amazon now for $8.55 (hardcover).
And a few other things for Dr Seuss fans-
If you decide to try these please come back and let me know what you think!