Here is a sandwich that is one of my favorites to make as a slightly more grown up version of a regular grilled cheese sandwich.
This is actually really delicious cold or you can butter the bread for a grilled cheese for something nice and gooey. I like to make this to have with tomato or red pepper soup or just as a quick lunch.
So here is the simple method I use to make this sandwich. I like to do a Parmesan crusted bread- this is a little trick that I learned when I was a waitress in college at a little cafe. It really is worth the extra step because you get this delicious salty, cheesy crust. Yum!
And by the way- this buttered Parmesan bread is super yummy just toasted alone in a toaster oven. I occasionally make this as something decadent to have with scrambled eggs in the morning.
You can use any kind of bread you like here but since Pesto has so much oil, it is best to use a thicker bread and a very light amount of butter. I used a ciabatta for my sandwich.
Also mozzarella would be just as good on this sandwich as Havarti. You can also add sliced tomato or chicken breast to make it more substantial.
- Parmesan Cheese (finely grated)
- 2 slices thick bread
- 1 tablespoon pesto sauce
- 1 slice Havarti cheese
- Finely grate parmesan cheese (you can use the canned kind in a pinch but it won't taste quite as good)
- Lightly butter both sides of your bread.
- Using a spoon, spread the parmesan cheese on top of the buttered sides and use the back of the spoon to softly press it into the bread.
- Flip the bread over and spread with pesto sauce on one side.
- Add a slice of Havarti cheese and close the sandwich.
- Place on low to medium heat in a nonstick pan.
- Cook until lightly browned and flip to cook evenly on the other side.
The trick to the parmesan crusted bread is to use grated cheese and sort of smoosh it in with the butter. I find shredded Parmesan will stick to the pan and burn. Also, I use low heat to make sure it cooks nicely.
I hope you like it as much as I do!
Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy:
- 5 Minute Blackberry Cobbler
- Creamy Cauliflower Soup
- Bacon, Tomato and Cheese Frittata
- 5 minute jam
- Chai Sugar Cookies
- Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Greek Orzo Pasta
- Molten Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Grilled Corn
- Crock Pot Maple and Brown Sugar Steel Cut Oatmeal