Jan
2014

Avocado and Cheddar Sandwich {Quick & Healthy Lunch Idea}

01/27/2014. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

Cheddar and Avocado Sandwich

This is the fastest sandwich and it is very healthy and so filling for lunch!  I have been really watching what I eat the past two weeks and this sandwich has been a staple for me.  I love sandwiches but they are a little tricky for me because I am a vegetarian so it can get challenging to keep them interesting.

This couldn’t be easier to make- I like to toast whole wheat bread and I actually prefer this sandwich open faced.

So I toast one slice of bread and then add three simple layers on top.

First I like to add a slice of cheddar cheese- the one in the picture is Organic Gold Rush Creamery Medium Cheddar from  Costco and it is delicious.   If I can’t find that I also really like Tillamook Medium Cheddar but any cheese you like should work nicely.

Next I add about 1/4 to 1/2 of an avocado- if you have a little time you can smoosh your avocado up.  If I am really pressed for time I just slice it directly on top of the cheddar cheese.

Avocado and Cheese Sandwich Recipe

This is a great time to season your avocado with salt and pepper.  You can also add a bit of red pepper flakes (those are supposed to amp up your metabolism) or a dash of hot sauce.  I am a purist and I like salt and pepper only.

Next spread this on top of the cheese and then I like to top with shredded carrots.  These are very inexpensive to buy and they make these sandwiches so fast to put together.  You can also just shred a regular carrot and add that right to the top.

If I am serving open faced I cut it in half, push the carrots down just a little bit into the avocado and take a big bite!

Cheddar and Avocado Sandwich Recipe -

You can also add a little turkey to this sandwich or sprouts or red peppers would be very good too.  I like whole wheat toast but this would work perfectly as a wrap with a whole wheat tortilla.

If you decide to try this simple sandwich out please let me know what you think!  I love it and I get a serving of veggies in which is always a plus.

Oh and PS:  I am down 4 lbs since starting my diet.  Please let me know if you are interested in more healthy real food ideas because I am happy to share some of the things that have worked for me so far.

Avocado Lime Spread

And if you are wondering what to do with the remaining Avocado, try this Avocado Lime Spread recipe  at dinner!  It is perfect for tacos, as a veggie dip or I love it on top of burgers!

Cilantro Lime Guacamole Dip

Here is another idea- this Cilantro Lime Guacamole Dip recipe.

I could eat a whole bowl of this stuff- just delicious!

Aubree January 27, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Share more recipes! I have been doing Weight Watchers for 3 weeks and have lost about 9 pounds and need new recipes so I don’t get bored.

Erica January 27, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been calorie counting (and running when it’s not too cold) in efforts to lose some baby weight (he’s 7 weeks old) for two weeks and I’m down 11 pounds. :)
It’s always nice to find other people on your journey.

Jamie January 27, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Love your recipes! Made your applesauce today!

Katie Kleber January 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I am enjoying the post too. Thanks!

Sarah January 27, 2014 at 6:19 PM

I love your food and craft posts. So many cute and fun things for the kids that I feel like I can actually do. So many ideas out there seem like they’re made for moms who have nothing else to do but set up crafts:)

Amanda January 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM

I always love healthy recipes, trying to trim some weight as well. Kid stuff is great also, my 3 year old is super picky!

rachael January 27, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Yum! Yes, PLEASE share more ideas! I think we all tend to get in a route, so fresh/healthy ideas are always appreciated! I too am a vegetarian, so I’m excited to read what you have to share! Thanks for your blog, LOVE it! :)

Charlene January 27, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Sarah- I know! I feel like a failure half the time because my stuff is never as lovely or creative or awe inspiring. But what I have come to accept is that anything I do can be done by a normal person that juggles 200 other things. ;) It really came to light for me on this diet I am on right now. I am trying to eat “real foods” and lots of fresh stuff and to eat like that takes massive amounts of time. I spent 2 1/2 hours one night prepping soups, almond butter and Larabars. That was on top of the menu planning, grocery shopping, regular cooking… I only got 3 things done so I get upset when I see people saying- well just plan to eat and you need to prep your food ahead. Um… who has 2 1/2 hours every night to prep food? I have spelling tests to get ready for, books to read, cuddles to give, a blog to manage, grass stains to get out of pants, carpets to vacuum, gym classes….

So anyway– thanks :). Simple stuff and really the important thing is the memories the littles will have.

Charlene January 27, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Oh I hope you liked it Jamie! If you want to try something different spoon tiny drops of that applesauce on parchment paper and freeze it for a little piece of frozen applesauce candy :). My kids love them.

Charlene January 27, 2014 at 8:07 PM

LOL- Erica I need to lose the baby weight too. My youngest is 4 though :D. So I guess I shouldn’t say baby weight but rather I love Cookies weight.

Sylvia January 27, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Congratulations on losing 4lbs! I am also trying to eat healthier now and am weaning myself off coffee, replacing it with green tea. So far, so good. I haven’t weighed myself yet. My goal is not so much about weight loss but more about lowering my LDL levels. My biggest struggle is trying to avoid sweets, specially baked goods since I love to bake!

Charlene January 27, 2014 at 9:20 PM

Oh Sylvia me too! I love to bake things and this week I am making cupcakes and football brownies so that means an extra day or five at the gym for me :D. I just pinned an amazing looking recipe for tangerine bread and I have been wanting to try it. I was thinking I might play with coconut lime bread but sadly I have to really watch how often I bake because it all goes into my belly ;).

One thing that has helped my sweet tooth is almond butter on whole wheat toast. And it sounds crazy but this actually works really well for me- hot water and lemon. Sounds lame but it settles my tummy and I just feel better when I start and end the day with it.

I wrote about it here:

Wendy January 27, 2014 at 10:19 PM

I love your food/recipe ideas! Keep ‘em coming :-) And congratulations on your weight loss so far!

Carrie January 28, 2014 at 4:06 AM

Yes! More healthy recipes please. I love the cauliflower soup recipe you posted a while back and I’ve used several other recipes from your blog as well.

Charlene January 28, 2014 at 7:17 AM

Oh I love that one too! Thanks Carrie!

Desiree January 28, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Hello Charlene I absolutely love your blog I look you up everyday! I too am trying to lose some weight. Feeling like a failure for not sticking to it. Please share your diet and what you do! Thanks for all your wonderful tips everday.

Ashley January 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Sandwich sounds yummy. I love avocados. For something with less carbs and more protein, scrambled eggs with cheddar cheese, avocado and salsa is wonderful.

Amanda Fry January 28, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Yes, please share more healthy recipes! This sandwich looks great, and I will definitely make for myself for lunch! Thanks for sharing!

Jennifier W. January 28, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I’d love to know what’s been working for you! Give us all your tips and recipes! :D

shirley elizabeth January 31, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I’ve been crazy with work and am just catching up on blogs and just had to share – one of my favorite go-to “healthy” lunches is sliced cucumber, sliced avocado, and feta all inside a pita pocket drizzled with a yummy Italian dressing. I’ll sometimes line it with lettuce so the pita doesn’t get soggy. It’s so refreshing! Also, any take on bruschetta, as long as it includes avocado. Thanks for your recipes!

Charlene January 31, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Oh that sounds lovely Shirley!

LeAnn March 21, 2014 at 12:01 PM

I just tried the avocado and cheddar sandwich, and I love it! I am a vegetarian as well. I would love to know if you have more veggie sandwich ideas! Your blog is a must read everyday! You have so many ideas and recipes that I find so easy to do myself! Thank you for the good deals that you always post as well!

Charlene March 21, 2014 at 1:46 PM

Thanks LeAnn :). This is one of my favorites as well- just no fuss and easy and comforting

LeAnn March 21, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Thanks, Charlene! I am all giddy and excited to try your roasted tomato grilled cheese after my next shopping trip to the grocery store! Sounds and looks relish! I am hoping to plant grape tomatoes in our little garden.

You rock with your replies! You seem to care very much about your readers!