This is one of my favorite little easy appetizers and I wanted to post the recipe because it is a really great finger food for holiday entertaining.
You can make these ahead and pop in the freezer. They are a yummy mixture of bread crumbs and parmesan and a bit of Spinach so you don’t feel badly about eating 100 of them.
This recipe is from The Party Guys who had a Food Network show several years back. I have been making these for a few years now and they are always a hit.
- Frozen Chopped Spinach- 1 lb
- 1¾ cups seasoned bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 5 eggs
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion minced (I use ½ onion for this recipe)
- 10 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Thaw frozen spinach in microwave in a large bowl.
- Place spinach on top of a clean kitchen towel or paper towels and squeeze out excess water. You can get ½ cup or more.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix with a spoon or your hands.
- Form the mixture into balls- about 1 inch or smaller (so they are bite sized) and place on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle kosher salt over the top of the balls.
- Bake 20-25 minutes until firm and golden.
- Let cool and serve!
So a few extra notes. The first is to carefully measure the bread crumbs because you don’t want to add too much and dry out the spinach balls.
The next is to take a minute and shred the spinach. If the spinach is clumpy the balls won’t look as appealing or taste as good.
I like to lay it out on paper towels and use a fork to sort of spread it out so it mixes easily with the other ingredients. Oh and see the bowl on the right- that is all the water drained from my package of spinach so it is important to squeeze the water out.
This is what it looks like all mixed up together and this is the messy part. I just man up with my hands but if you have gloves that is better.
And I like to use parchment paper lined on the baking sheet because you will get a little bubbly butter around each bite. You can put the bites really close together because they won’t expand. When I remove them from the oven I like to put the bites on a plate lined with paper towels to catch the last bit of butter.
If you want to freeze these just take the bites after you salt them and place them on a plate or I use a pie dish. Pop in the freezer for a quick fast freeze. Then get them out and place in a freezer bag.
Oh and one last thing is that when you make the bites be sure the size is uniform so they cook evenly.
And a yummy plate of salty, bready, parmesany perfection ready to go!
If you try these please come back and let me know what you think. I like these just like this but you can also try dipping them in marinara sauce (here is a delicious crock pot marinara sauce recipe). Some people serve these spinach balls as a vegetarian alternative to meatballs in spaghetti.
And you might also want to check out my easy Crock Pot French Onion soup recipe! This is vegetarian or make with beef broth.