Here is an easy recipe that is perfect for St Patrick’s day- thin mint chocolate brownies! These are SO GOOD! If you like mint and chocolate, this recipe is right up your alley and the bright green color is so pretty. This is a dessert that will pull people in for sure- I can not resist these.
- 1 boxed brownie mix
- 12 Thin Mint type cookies, broken into pieces (I used the Keebler version but you might support your local Girl Scout!)
- Ingredients for Mint Frosting -
- ½ cup softened butter
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons Milk
- ½ tsp. Peppermint extract
- Green food coloring (just a few drops goes a long way!)
- Optional- Andes Mints as garnish
- Make the brownie mix according to the package directions.
- Add in broken mint cookie pieces and pour into a greased 9x9 pan.
- Bake according to the package directions.
- Let cool.
- For the frosting:
- Combine butter and powdered sugar in a mixing bowl and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add milk, peppermint extract and one or two drops of food coloring.
- Mix until well incorporated.
- Spread the mint frosting evenly over the cooled brownies.
- Roughly chop 5 or 6 Andes mints and sprinkle over the top of the frosting.
Please note the peppermint extract is pretty strong stuff. I used 1/2 teaspoon and found that minty enough but if you prefer a stronger flavor, you can definitely add more.
The Thin Mint cookies are just for a little fun and crunch in the brownie and those can be omitted. The Andes mints also can be omitted or substituted for chocolate chips. I really think the Andes Mints are so pretty on top though.
AND one last little note. I absolutely hate it when I hear on cooking shows “use good quality xyz..” Sounds so pretentious to me but it really is true. For the Buttercream frosting I have used a standard inexpensive butter and recently switched to the Whole Foods organic store brand and the difference in taste is remarkable. A good quality butter really does pay off 🙂
If you decide to try these out come back and let me know what you think!
And if you want another chocolaty treat that is crazy easy and so amazing, try this Chocolate Peanut Butter Magic Shell recipe for ice cream. It comes together in seconds and you won’t believe how good!
If you prefer a homemade brownie to a box mix, here is a super simple classic brownie recipe that would be perfect: