So I am not usually a milkshake person in the winter. I much prefer a baked apple crisp or warm cookies or something else nice and warm and gooey from the oven.
But we recently took the kids to Chick Fil A for a quick dinner and discovered their Peppermint Chocolate Chip Milkshakes. Um… peppermint, chocolate, ice cream? Yes please!
So apparently this shake is only available for a limited time and we got one to share between the 4 of us and let me tell you it nearly came to blows! That darn shake was so delicious.
So I decided to experiment and see if I can recreate the milkshake at home and I will tell you it is very simple to do. You just need a few ingredients and a few minutes and you will be amazed at how yummy this is.
For the Chick Fil A milkshake, I am pretty sure they use vanilla ice cream, peppermint flavors and apparently they use chocolate chips. When I was testing shakes I had a terrible time with chocolate chips- they are hard to get fine enough so you can still drink through a straw. They also globbed up at the bottom of my glass and turned the shake an unappealing color. Boo!
So I kept experimenting and here is the recipe I came up with:
- Peppermint or Vanilla ice Cream
- 1 Candy Cane or Peppermint Candies
- 1 Oreo or Joe Joe's (I used Peppermint flavor)
- Whipped Cream
- Start by adding your peppermint candies or candy cane to the food processor.
- Pulse until slightly chunky.
- Transfer the ground candy to a small bowl.
- Add one Joe Joe or Oreo to the food processor and pulse until ground to crumbs. Transfer to a bowl.
- Next add 3 scoops of ice cream to the blender and 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Blend well.
- Add the cookie crumbs to your blender and mix until incorporated.
- Add the candy cane to the blender and mix well (I like to reserve a little bit to sprinkle on top).
- Pour into a cup and top with whipped cream.
- Sprinkle remaining candy cane on top.
So basically you just want to blend candy cane, a chocolate cookie and the ice cream to make your shake. Very easy and you won’t believe how wonderful this is. You can use vanilla ice cream or peppermint ice cream- if you decide on vanilla I would increase the candy cane to 2 or even 3.
This is the texture I like for the candy cane and the cookies. I like it to be just a little chunky for added texture in your shake but not too big for the pieces to fit through the straw.
Once you have blended your shake and poured it into the glass, top with whipped cream. (You can see a recipe for fresh whipped cream here– super easy to make and the flavor is so much better then canned whipped cream).
And in regards to the cookie to use, I find Trader Joe’s Joe Joe’s to be amazing. They are similar to an Oreo but better. (So good in fact they have their own Facebook page).
I used the chocolate covered peppermint Joe Joe which was super amazing in this shake.
See more yummy recipes on my pinterest board.
Yum! Will have to try this but with Oreos because we don’t have a Trader Joe’s around here.
Those Joe Joe’s are dangerous. I cannot be left alone with a package of those 🙂 I am going to surprise my kids with a peppermint milkshake this week. They are going to love it! Thanks for the recipe.
Oh yummy Nicole. I hope they do like it.