This week I am on my clean eating challenge (#2 for the summer) and thought I would post one of my quick go to dinners.
This one is vegetarian but it would also be great with shredded chicken or ground beef or whatever leftovers you might have. I absolutely love Chipotle and this is pretty close to the yummy burritos I usually get there.
The recipe is easily adaptable to what you have on hand and it can be pulled together really fast for busy weeknights.
Here is the basic recipe that I use but again you can omit things you don’t like and add things you do- it really is pretty foolproof.
Basically you need black beans (or the meat of your choice), salsa/pico de gallo/fresh tomatoes, cheese, guacamole or avocado, rice (I like to make Cilantro Lime Rice or brown rice), any extra veggies (onions, peppers etc..) and I like sour cream or greek yogurt for a little extra creaminess. I actually don’t taste the difference when I use greek yogurt. And then I like a little fresh salsa on the side for dipping.
You can serve this as a burrito or fry it to seal the seams and it is a little more kid-friendly to hold and eat. Plus you will get the cheese all melted and yummy.
I like to wrap these up in foil and it is a grab n go dinner for nights when we have soccer practice or other activities.
- Flour Tortillas
- Shredded Monterey Jack and Cheddar Cheese
- Guacamole or Sliced Avocado
- 2 cups Long Grain White Rice
- Black Beans
- Fresh Tomatoes, chopped
- Sour Cream or Plain Greek Yogurt
- Start by making the rice- you can use either white or brown rice but I prefer to use Cilantro Lime Rice.
- Prepare rice according to package directions (for Cilantro Lime rice, a long grain white rice works best).
- Finely chop 4 tablespoons of fresh cilantro.
- Once the rice has cooked and cooled slightly add the cilantro plus the juice of one lime.
- Stir well and set aside.
- Open can of black beans, place in a colander and rinse well.
- Add black beans to a saute pan with a little olive oil.
- Cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Open tortilla and start with a small layer of cheese of your choice (I like Jack and Cheddar).
- Add a few dollops of guacamole or chopped avocado.
- Next add about 2 tablespoons of Cilantro Lime rice.
- Next add black beans and drizzle with fresh chopped tomatoes.
- Top with a few dollops of sour cream or greek yogurt.
- Fold the top and bottom of the tortilla in and wrap the sides around to make a burrito.
- Next place seam side down in a saute pan with a little olive oil. Fry for about 2-3 minutes until lightly browned to form a seal.
- Flip the burrito and brown slightly on the opposite side.
- All done! Serve with salsa for dipping.
This is what the burrito looks like all stuffed and ready to go. The trick is not to fill it too full or you will have a big mess on your hands.
You can serve this as is with an extra side of rice or beans or you can wrap in foil and it is a great grab and go dinner!
And here are a few other recipes you might like: