I made this chicken dish tonight that everyone seemed to enjoy so I thought I’d post the recipe. If you are looking for a little inspiration for something different this was really easy to put together.
I just started by seasoning and then browning a boneless chicken breast. While that was underway, I rolled out a thawed puff pastry sheet and cut it into about a 12 inch square.
I added a thick slice of cheddar cheese and topped that with two slices of ham.
Next plop that chicken breast right on top and if you are feeling extra decadent, add one more slice of cheese. You might want to give the chicken a few minutes to cool.
Lightly whisk an egg with a little water and brush it onto the seams. Fold up the pastry into a little bundle and flip the seam side down.
Brush a little more egg wash onto the top and bake for about 20 min at 400°.
Viola! Now as you guys know I don’t eat chicken myself but things got quiet when I served this chicken which is always a good sign. My husband said it was delicious but he wanted a little more cheese (so that second slice is what I will do next time and I will probably pound out the chicken breast to make it a little thinner.)
My girls ate most of the chicken too which is just shy of a miracle in this house.
And I had a tiny bit of scrap pastry leftover that I turned into something delicious for little old me. I’ll post that recipe tomorrow!
- (4) Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- Cheddar Cheese
- Sliced Ham
- Puff Pastry
- Start by seasoning your chicken with salt and pepper
- Lightly brown the chicken breast in a saute pan
- Thaw and roll out the puff pastry into 12-14 inch squares
- Place a thick slice of the cheese you prefer onto the center of the square (I used cheddar but Gruyere would also be good)
- Add two slices of ham on top of the cheese
- Place the browned chicken breast on top
- Lightly wisk an egg and water and brush onto the edges of the pastry
- Fold into a little square bundle and place the seam side down
- Lightly brush the egg mixture onto the top of the bundle
- Bake about 20 minutes at 400°.
- Serve immediately.