Here is another family favorite recipe that is great for busy nights. This orange chicken is quick and we have it several times per month.
This is a gluten free recipe for those of you looking for that and it can be popped into a thermos for busy sports nights.
We usually have this with rice or cauliflower rice or steamed broccoli.
- 2 pounds boneless skinless chicken, cut into bite sized pieces
- ½ cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup soy sauce (regular, low sodium or gluten free according to preference)
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon garlic, minced
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- salt and pepper to taste
- Slliced fresh green onions and/or toasted sesame seeds (optional garnish)
- Place a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add a thin layer of oil – just enough to cover the
- surface of the pan (about 3 tablespoons).
- Pour the cornstarch into a large bowl, add chicken and sprinkle with salt and pepper- evenly coat the chicken with cornstarch shaking off excess as you go.
- Place the coated chicken into the hot pan, spreading it out so it’s in an even layer.
- Continue cooking the chicken, stirring occasionally, until it is cooked through and turns a golden
- Whisk together all remaining ingredients in a small bowl for the sauce.
- Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the hot skillet and allow it to simmer until it thickens slightly.
- Turn off the heat, add the chicken back into the pan, and toss it lightly to completely coat each
- piece in the sauce.
- Garnish with sliced fresh green onions, toasted sesame seeds and even a little extra orange zest
- if desired.
The cornstarch helps to make the chicken nice and crispy and brown when cooking but I definitely like to shake off any excess before cooking.
Here is your fully cooked chicken ready for the sauce.
That extra orange zest makes a big difference in flavor.
I hope you enjoy this recipe– come back and let me know what you think!
Here are a few other recipes you might also like: