Alright summer is coming to an end and we will have Pumpkin Spice everything before too long. In the meantime, I have a super simple recipe to enjoy the last of the summer berries.
This is incredibly quick to make and just so, so good. I hope you give this Blackberry Cobbler a shot.
I made basic blackberry for this recipe but it is equally delicious with blueberries, raspberries or you might try peaches and strawberries. Really any fruit you love and/or happen to have on hand works! And these are so cute and so charming, I think they are perfect for summer parties and BBQs.
I baked these in mason jars but ramekins are just fine. Ready to get started on this cobbler?
- 3 Pints Blackberries (or fruit of your choice)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup butter (room temp)
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Add flour and baking soda to a small bowl and whisk together- set aside.
- Evenly add fresh berries to mason jars and drizzle fresh lime juice on top.
- Place jars on a baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes.
- Start cobbler topping by adding sugar and butter to a mixer and mix until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix until incorporated.
- Finally add flour mixture and stir until all ingredients are incorporated.
- Remove fruit jars from oven and gently drop the cobbler mixture on top.
- Bake for an additional 15 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Remove from oven, let cool and enjoy!
The best berries you can find make a huge difference in this recipe. I bought some at the farmer’s market that were sweet and huge and delicious. If you need to use frozen or grocery store berries, you might need an extra pint and you might sprinkle sugar on the berries before baking.
The berries do shrink down considerably while baking so I start with jars that are filled completely to the top. Once they are removed from the oven the jar is about 2/3 of the way filled which allows for plenty of room to dollop on the cobbler mixture.
This cobbler mixture isn’t super sweet because I love to let the fruit flavor shine and also this is really amazing with a bit of whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Seriously amazing!
If you decide to give this recipe a shot, please come back and let me know what you think.
Here are a few other recipes you might also enjoy:
Blackberry Jam recipe- quick and easy!
Simple Blueberry Sauce– perfect for ice cream or pancakes!