I have a fun and silly little treat idea for you today. This is a cute snack idea that your kid’s would absolutely love. This is a twist on the regular ants on a log idea- obviously this one isn’t as healthy – but it is colorful and fun and perfect for an occasional treat.
The kids were reading some bug books over summer and I decided to pull out our old copy of A Bug’s Life to watch together that night and I wanted to make a silly bug themed treat to eat during the movie.
I came up with these ants on a log and it is so fast and simple to make. My kids thought these were really fun and I think this would also be a cute treat to surprise them with after school or maybe for a class party.
You might file this idea away for when the kid’s start life cycle units at school too because this is just a fun little extra thing to make at home with them to support what they are studying in school.
So to make these guys you can absolutely substitute what you have on hand, but here is what I used:
- - Chocolate covered granola bars
- - M&M's Candies
- - Chocolate Chips
- - Ziploc Sandwich Bag
- - Place a few chocolate chips or chocolate candies in a microwave safe bowl
- - Microwave on high for 30 seconds or until just melted enough to be stirred with the tip of a knife.
- - Once the chocolate is melted, carefully spoon it into your Ziploc bag.
- - Press the chocolate mixture into one corner of the bag.
- - With a sharp knife, just barely cut the corner of the sandwich bag off so that you have a teeny tiny hole from which you can pipe the chocolate. The smaller the better.
- - Unwrap a granola bar.
- - Pipe two small dabs of chocolate onto the top of the bar and affix two M&M's candies onto it.
- - The melted chocolate will act like a glue to hold the body of your ants onto the log.
- - Repeat this process to form the body of your second ant.
- - Pipe two eyes onto your ants.
- - Pipe three legs on each side of your ants radiating out from the center of the body where the two M&M's candies meet.
- - Continue adding as many ants as you like.
And here is how they look on a plate:
Silly and fun and just what childhood should be about 🙂
Here are a few other silly treats you might also like:
Melted Snowman Cookies– these are such a fun treat for winter!