So we just returned from vacation and on our trip we stayed at a W Hotel. The W has a lovely ice pitcher in the lobby with self serve water cups. Each day the water was infused with a few fruits or herbs and my girls just thought it was so cool. I usually struggle to get them to drink enough water but every time we went to the lobby they helped themselves because they were so impressed with the infused water.
So now that we are home, I am trying to continue the practice and I have been playing with some infused water recipes. It really is so simple and a great way to make things seem a little more special.
You can grab a case of Mason Jars and make these ahead and store them in the fridge for grab n go drinks OR keep a pitcher in the fridge. Just a small thing but considering the prices and deliciousness of produce in the summer- well why not do something extra good for you and your family. You can continue to refill your water and use the same fresh ingredients a few times. As the flavor gets weaker just toss out the old produce and add some fresh stuff.
I have an easy citrus recipe for infused water for you and then I am including ideas for 14 more water recipes you might want to try. Really there is something for everyone and a way to use pretty much whatever you might have on hand!
Some produce is supposed to work for certain things. I am not a Doctor but from what I understand, you might take the following into consideration:
- Citrus can be good to prevent colds and sickness and also aids in digestion.
- Cucumber can be good for weight loss.
- Grapefruit is also supposed to help with fat flushing and weight loss.
- Lemon is good for energy.
- 1 16 oz. canning jar
- ½ of an orange, cut into slices
- ½ of a lemon, cut into slices
- ½ of a lime, cut into slices
- Add the orange, lemon and lime slices to your jar and use a spoon to mash them up a bit to let the juices out – this will help infuse your water.
- Since the peels and everything are going into your water, I try to use organic citrus.
- If organic isn’t an option you might wash the produce really well.
- Add water and chill overnight for the strongest flavor.
I think citrus is a great way to start with infused water because almost everyone likes these flavors but here are a few more fun ones you might try:
- Strawberry, Lime and Mint Water
- Blueberry or Raspberry and Orange Water
- Grapefruit Infused Water
- Watermelon and Mint Infused Water
- Watermelon and Cucumber and Lime
- Orange and Lime and Cucumber Water
- Mint Water or Lemon and Mint Water
- Cucumber, Lemon, Mint and Rosemary
- Pineapple Water
- Mango and Raspberry Water
- Rosemary, Mint and Cucumber Inspired Spa Water
- Raspberry Orange and Kiwi Infused Water
- Raspberry and Lime Infused Water
- Peach and Blueberry Infused Water
I’d love to hear what combinations you try this summer!
And here are a few other things you might like: