Here is the recipe- it is actually really fast to make these and this recipe makes plenty- about 10 very generous desserts.
This is a great dessert to make with the kids. Mine took turns adding all the ingredients and then washing and cutting the strawberries.
- 1 pound strawberries
- ½ cup sugar + 2 tablespoons
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold butter + 1 tablespoon
- 1 egg
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup cream
- Fresh or frozen blueberries for decoration (optional)
- Sugar in the Raw to sprinkle on top before baking
- Fresh Whipped Cream
- Wash, hull, and slice strawberries.
- In a small bowl, combine the berries and 2 tablespoons sugar. Cover and set aside for at least 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Heat oven to 450F.
- In a large bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cut the cold butter into small pieces and work into the flour mixture, using a pastry blender. It should be well combined, with no visible chunks. (I did this with my fingers so that works fine if you don't have a pastry blender.)
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg, milk, and cream until it is well combined and frothy.
- Make a well in the dry ingredients and add the milk mixture. Stir just until combined. Do not over mix.
- Drop the dough onto a heavily floured surface. Flip the dough several times to coat with flour.
- Roll out the dough until it is ¼ inch thick.
- Use a round cookie cutter or drinking glass or mason jar lid to cut out shapes. The dough will be a little sticky, so dip the cookie cutter in flour between each cut. Place on ungreased baking sheet at least 1 inch apart.
- If you like, you can press fresh blueberries into the dough.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter and brush it over each circle.
- Sprinkle a little sugar in the raw on top of each circle.
- Bake for 9-10 minutes, or until light golden brown.
- Cool completely on a rack.
- Add whipped cream and strawberries and enjoy!
If you happen to find fresh picked or Farmer’s Market strawberries, they are probably sweet enough to skip the extra sugar coating. If you have store bought berries, they might not be flavorful enough and you can add the sugar to sweeten them a bit more.
I prefer these little cakes to angel food or pound cake. These are similar to a scone so the sweeter berries are a great compliment.
To make the fresh whipped cream is very simple and SO worth it (over store bought).
And here are a few other recipes you might like:
And something I occasionally add to Strawberry Shortcake- Homemade Lemon Curd: