Apr
2014

Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins

04/14/2014. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins

I thought I’d post a fun and easy homemade muffin recipe today for Nutella swirled banana muffins. These are really delicious and a great treat when you are looking for something sweet. My kids are huge fans of banana muffins and banana bread so they were over the moon for these.

You can pop them in little cups for lunchboxes or a quick grab n go breakfast. These are also fun if you are snack mom for soccer games and such or if you are planning to make Brunch for Easter or Mother’s Day.

Everyone loves muffins so these are a pretty safe bet when you bake a homemade treat too.

Here is the quick and easy recipe:

Nutella Swirl Banana Muffins
Author:
Recipe type: Breakfast, Snacks
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 12

Quick and easy nutella and banana swirled muffins
Ingredients
  • 1 ½ C. flour
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • ½ tsp. salt
  • 1 C. sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ C. of butter, softened
  • 3 bananas, mashed
  • ⅓ C. Nutella
  • 12 count muffin tin, greased or 12 Silicone baking cups (optional)
Instructions
  1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
  3. In a separate medium sized bowl mash the bananas. Slightly overripe bananas work the best.
  4. Slowly stir in the sugar, eggs and softened butter.
  5. Add the dry ingredients and stir just until mixed.
  6. Pour the mixture into the muffin tins filling them about ⅔ of the way full.
  7. Once all your cups are filled microwave the Nutella for 10-15 seconds – just long enough to slightly soften.
  8. Using a teaspoon, place a small scoop of Nutella directly on top of each muffin.
  9. Once they all have a dollop of Nutella on top – use a butter knife to swirl into the muffin mixture.
  10. Bake for 15-17 minutes until golden brown.

Banana Nutella Swirled Muffins

I used these cute Silicone Baking Cups to make the muffins and just swirled the Nutella in the center with a butter knife.

And here is what the final produce looks like:

Nutella and Banana Swirled Muffins

If you have little ones and might want to send these off for school lunches- these little Glad Tupperware containers are so handy.

I think these are disposable containers but I have seriously had them for at least a year and we wash them regularly in the dishwasher and they have really held up.

If you decide to try these muffins please come back and let me know what you think!

For another quick breakfast idea, you might like this Crock Pot Maple and Brown Sugar Steel Cut Oats recipe.  You can make one big batch and then portion into mason jars for quick breakfast all week.

Slow Cooker Maple and Brown Sugar Oatmeal recipe

And another quick idea is this Peach and Mango Smoothie.  Again just mix it up the night before and grab on your way out the door:

Mango breakfast smoothie recipe

dodi April 14, 2014 at 6:14 PM

Oh my! Looks so yummy..can’t wait to try these. You post the most wonderful recipes. And may I add that I really appreciate that your recipes do not include all the “junk” that we do not need. Loved your recipe for whipped cream. So good.

Ali April 16, 2014 at 6:44 AM

Made these muffins this morning and they were a huge hit!! Delicious! Thanks!!!

Charlene April 16, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Ali, I am so glad! Thanks for letting me know!

Lisa P April 16, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Made the banana/nutella muffins today and they were a hit with the family! I added 1 teaspoon of vanilla to the mashed bananas because that is what I do with banana bread and we love it. Great way to use the ripened, frozen bananas in the freezer. Thanks for the recipe.

Charlene April 17, 2014 at 8:00 AM

So glad Lisa! Have you ever tried Mexican vanilla? That adds a lot to baked goods :)

Lisa P April 17, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Yes I have.Back in my party days of youth with weekend trips to Tijuanna, I made sure to bring back a bottle of vanilla.(Dating myself, pre-internet shopping) Now you can easily pick it up at local stores.I am using a generic bottle from Costco now.Not sure where it is from but I know it is real, not imitation.

Charlene April 17, 2014 at 4:58 PM

LOL! I have had a few Spring break trips to Papas and Beers in Rosarito myself ;D

Lisa P April 17, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Funny. Me too. Thanks for reminding me about the Mexican vanilla. I am going to pick up a bottle the next time I am at a Latin grocery store and see if there is a difference versus what I use now. Good times.:)

Christine April 19, 2014 at 4:43 AM

1 cup seems like a lot of sugar for 12 muffins. i cut it back to 1/2 cup and it still looked like a ton! they are in the oven now so we’ll see how they come out!

Christine April 19, 2014 at 5:33 AM

update……1/2 cup sugar was PLENTY! could have probably cut it back even more.

Charlene April 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Christine- you can always decrease the sugar in any recipe. If it looks like too much then just reduce. I always adapt things slightly to my own taste.

Vivian August 2, 2014 at 4:11 AM

Hi Charlene

I just made this and it is delicious!
I was wondering if I should add baking powder next time?

Charlene August 2, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Hi Vivian! So glad you liked the muffins. I think the baking powder just makes the muffins fluffier but I didn’t think the muffins needed it :)