Oh goodness y’all. Here is something really indulgent and so very delicious for you to try.
This is a fun way to take a delicious brownie to the next level by adding your favorite candy inside! Fun right?
You can use any candy you like really but I went with Kit Kat because I was thinking the extra crunch from a Kit Kat would be fantastic. I think Reese’s would also be good with the Peanut Butter and chocolate or maybe something caramel…. really whatever you like. I am kind of thinking mini Cadbury eggs this time of year might work too?
- ¾ C. flour
- 2 C. semi-sweet chocolate
- 2 tbs cocoa powder
- 4 tbs. butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ C. sugar
- ½ C. packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. Baking powder
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 8 packages of Kit Kat candy bars (you will need approximately 16 Kit Kat bars total)
- 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan
- Frosting ingredients -
- ¼ C. butter or margarine, softened
- ⅓ C. cocoa
- 2 C. powdered sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- 3 tbs milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Line your 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish with foil and spray with a non-stick spray.
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter and chocolate in 15-20 second increments, stirring until completely melted.
- Let cool 2-3 minutes.
- In another bowl, combine the eggs, sugar and vanilla.
- Add in the melted chocolate mixture and then slowly add in the flour and cocoa mixture and mix well.
- Pour enough of the batter into the bottom of your baking dish just to cover the bottom. Spread with a spoon or spatula if needed.
- Break the Kit Kat bars apart and lay on top of the batter – you will need about 8-10 bars for the entire pan.
- Once the Kit Kat bars are in place, pour the rest of the batter over the top and bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Insert a toothpick around 25 minutes to check them. If it comes out 'clean' they are done.
- Let the brownies cool completely.
- Frosting directions -
- Combine the cocoa powder, butter, sugar and vanilla.
- Slowly add in the milk 1 tbs. at a time.
- You may want to add in more milk depending on how thick you like your frosting. Beat frosting on high for 2-3 minutes with a hand mixer or your Kitchenaid.
- Once the brownies have cooled completely, lift the foil out of the pan (love the super easy clean-up!)
- Evenly spread the chocolate frosting over the top of the brownies.
- Cut into 12 squares.
- Break the rest of your Kit Kat bars into thirds and gently press one into the top of each brownie.
- Store in an airtight container up to 1 week.
And I just placed the chocolate bars on top of the brownie but next time I might chop them up a bit and just sprinkle on top instead. I think that might be a little easier to eat.
You can do the same for the filling inside– just chop the chocolate bars up and add layers instead of keeping them intact.
Please note I was super generous with the chocolate bars and the frosting for the sake of the photos but this is a rich dessert so you might want a thinner layer of chocolate frosting when you make these at home 🙂
What do you think? Which chocolate bar would you choose for these decadent little lovelies?
If you decide to try these out please come back and let me know what you think!
And here are a few other treats you might like:
The most perfect chocolate buttercream frosting (seriously. amazing.)
S’Mores Cupcake Bites. These come together so fast and they are SO good! Perfect for summer BBQs!