I have a really delicious and super easy recipe for you today. This Cinnamon Swirl bread my kids love (and so do I!)- it is a perfect afternoon snack or for the morning with fresh fruit.
This recipe requires a few basic items you probably have on hand and you can essentially make the bread using one bowl. Yeah for that!
I hope you give this simple recipe a shot and please come back and let me know what you think!
- ¼ Cup Vegetable oil or Canola oil
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk milk (or use regular milk and add 1 tbsp vinegar or lemon juice)
- 2 cups Flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- ½ cup sugar
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together until well blended. (I do this in my Kitchenaid with the paddle attachment.)
- Spray a loaf pan with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Prepare the filling mix by adding sugar and cinnamon to a small bowl and stir.
- Pour approx. 1 inch of batter in the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle on the sugar mixture.
- Repeat steps 4-5 until everything is used ending with the sugar mixture (basically you are layering batter then sugar mixture ).
- Bake @ 350 for 30-55 min (depending on your oven)
A few notes about this recipe. This makes one very large loaf or you can make (2) smaller loaves. I have doubled this recipe exactly in the past and it works perfectly to make (3) loaves if you want to freeze some or give this as a gift.
Also the filling calls for 1/2 cup of sugar which is a lot. Obviously the more sugar you add the sweeter the bread but I usually cut that in half and use 1/4 cup and 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon. The thicker you layer the cinnamon sugar filling, the prettier your swirls will be once you cut the bread. You can also increase the sugar if you want to make this more like a dessert bread :).
And that is it! A simple and easy treat!
For the photos I made a simple glaze on top. You can make that to fancy things up or just skip it.
For the glaze just mix 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk. Wisk together and adjust the milk or the sugar to get the right consistency.
And here are a few other yummy recipes to try: