I have a 6 year old that is struggling a little bit with learning to read. Her little sister (aged 4) will be going into Kindergarten next year so we are trying to get a little bit of a jump on reading so her transition is a little easier.
I was very curious to check out the new Leapfrog Leapreader and see if that would help with the process. I recently got to invite a few Kindergarten and 1st Grade friends over to check out the Leapreader and see what they thought.
Now the Leapreader has been redesigned and comes with several improvements, so this is different then the tag systems we have seen in the past. This system is designed for children aged 4-8 years old.
The new Leapreader system is priced at $49.99 and it targets three different areas.
1. Reading- you simply use the stylus on one of the Leapreader books and it will read aloud or help children sound out words and letters. This is very handy for new readers that might struggle with a word or two in a sentence. My little girl will occasionally forget what a letter sounds like and this comes in handy for a refresher.
2. Writing- the new Leapreader has special pages so a child can learn the correct way to write letters. You can write with the same stylus so it is all in one. My little girl writes letters backwards on occasion so again this is a nice feature for practicing.
3. Listening- so they can also use the stylus to listen to audiobooks or music. This is a handy little thing to take on the go to keep the children entertained on trips or in the car.
And you can track what they are doing online (you register your Leapreader first and then you can track their progress).
The Leapreader only works with the specially designed books and workbooks but there are over 150 to choose from in characters the kids love like Monsters University, Disney Princess, Cars and more…
Our favorite features were the extras included with the books. You don’t just read through the books- you can use the stylus to click on one of the Monsters in Monsters University and the monster roars for example. The Monsters University book also comes with 3D glasses so the images are really fun for children. The books are extremely interactive and go beyond just the words on the page.
All of the kids had a great time playing with the Leapreader. We let each one have a turn playing with it just to see how they would use it and how they would react. It is really amazing how quickly children pick up these devices- my four year old had no problem turning it on and getting started before Mommy even unfolded the directions.
One other very nice feature is that the Leapreader gets plugged into your computer to charge. You don’t have to fool with batteries or plugs- just attach it to your computer and it will hold the charge for a few hours.
This has really come in handy for my preschooler because she likes to feel like she is doing homework when her big sister is doing her schoolwork. So this has been a great way to keep her occupied and still engaged and learning.
The Leapreader is something that little ones can do by themselves without a lot of instruction- although I still like to keep a close eye just to make sure we aren’t practicing our writing all over some of the books.
AND Leapfrog was kind enough to send me TWO Leapreaders to test out at my little Ready, Set, Read & Write party! We had the children take turns using the device so that means I have one Leapreader just for you!
I am excited to be able to offer this giveaway as I know many of you would love to put this one under the Christmas tree.
If you would like to win a Leapreader of your own (color is green), please fill in the very quick little form below.
I will randomly select one winner on Thursday, October 3rd at 8pm PST. If an address is provided, the Leapreader will be right on the way to your door.
For a bonus entry:
- a fan of My Frugal Adventures on Facebook
- or if you subscribe to MFA via email
- or if you are a follower over on Pinterest!
- Following on Instagram!
*All opinions expressed in this post are my own. This giveaway was sponsored by Leapfrog and MomSelect.