Sep
2012

Creamy Cauliflower & White Cheddar Soup (without the cream!)

09/11/2012. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

Creamy Cauliflower and White Cheddar Soup Recipe

I love soups.  This is such an easy way to make ahead several meals for fast lunches or easy dinners during the week.

I especially like these because I am a vegetarian and the rest of the family is not, so one big batch of soup can be my dinner for a few nights in the week.

The thing with soup is that you have to be careful because the really yummy ones can have a ton of calories.  This is a really light soup and yet it still tastes creamy and rich and satisfying.  For those of you that like baked potato soups, you might give this one a try!  Much healthier and much lower in calories.

5.0 from 2 reviews

Creamy Cauliflower and Parmesan Soup (without the cream!)
Prep time:
Cook time:
Total time:
Serves: 4

Creamy and Lowfat Cauliflower Soup
Ingredients
  • 1 head cauliflower, coarsely chopped
  • 2 cloves of garlic minced
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 quart chicken stock or vegetable stock
  • tablespoon shredded white cheddar cheese (optional)
  • salt and pepper
Instructions
  1. Heat olive oil in soup pan over medium heat.
  2. Add onion and garlic for about 5 minutes until lightly browned.
  3. Add cauliflower and stock and bring to a boil.
  4. Change heat to low and place a lid over the cauliflower for about 15 minutes.
  5. Once the cauliflower is soft, remove from heat.
  6. Blend in batches in a blender or in the pot with an immersion blender.
  7. Stir in the cheese and sprinkle with fresh pepper and salt.

Here is the cauliflower just cooking away- I will confess this is not my favorite smell :). I usually have a window open or a candle lit when cooking cauliflower.

Creamy Cauliflower Soup

And here is your final product- so rich and creamy!

Creamy Cauliflower Soup
Recipe Source: Dave Leiberman

Here are a few other recipes you might enjoy:

Easy Spinach Power SaladSpinach Power Salad

Ranch Roasted Chickpeas- perfect quick and healthy snackRanch Roasted Chickpeas- so yummy!

Chai Spice Sugar Cookies RecipeChai Spice Sugar Cookies

Jane September 11, 2012 at 5:03 PM

Thanks for the recipe! I’m vegetarian too, and soups are my absolute favorite thing to make year round. My favorite right now is Italian white bean soup with cannellini beans. They’re so creamy and rich tasting, and have lots of fiber. A bowl of soup and a hunk of bread, and I’m in heaven.

Charlene September 11, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Me too Jane. I’ll have to look for a good white bean recipe. I tend to stick with broccoli, cauliflower and squash soups.

Annie September 11, 2012 at 7:14 PM

Love this recipe, will def give it a try. I just had a big bowl of tomato soup ..lol . I make it with tomatoes, spinach,garlic and onion and also throw in a small yellow squash. Same process like yours.

Patricia September 11, 2012 at 7:53 PM

Can you freeze it?

Charlene September 11, 2012 at 8:15 PM

Patricia,

I can’t say I have ever tried. Personally I am not a fan of freezing soups because they seem to be watery to me but I would imagine if you put it in a Ziploc it would be ok. You might zip it around with the immersion blender once it defrosts. :)

selen October 2, 2012 at 10:57 PM

wow great to know ure a vegetarian, me too but i eat fish and eggs. definitely not strict since my fam are all meat eaters. love this and similar recipes.. good food

mryjhnsn October 16, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Holy cow that looks amazing! Thanks for sharing :)

aubs January 9, 2013 at 7:36 AM

Thanks for this! Looking for some meatless options to break up the menu at our house!

Karentina January 9, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Do you think this would be ok with broccoli or should I not stray from the recipe? Want to make it but have broccoli on hand and trying to use what I have instead of buying too much.

Lisa P January 10, 2013 at 12:48 AM

Karentina,
If you’re interested in a Creamy Broccoli Soup recipe, this recipe from Martha Stewart Everyday is a fave in our house
My husband’s favorite soup is Cream of Broccoli but he can no longer tolerate dairy products. This recipe is great and is minus the dairy.

I too am going to try the Cauliflower soup,too.