I got this recipe a long time ago… I think it may have come from Oregon Chai actually. I have been making these cookies for a few years now and it is perfect grown up version of a sugar cookie.
This has just a small kick of chai in it that makes it taste totally different then any other cookie you have had. Once the weather starts to turn a little cooler, I immediately jump into a mild warm milk and chai addiction that usually runs through winter. So I like to make these a lot in the fall and around the holidays because they are a perfect match to chai lattes, hot chocolate and plain lattes.
This is a perfect recipe to tuck away for those occasions when you want to take a little something to someone’s house. Most people probably haven’t tried these flavors before in a cookie.
So the recipe is pretty simple to make and you can even freeze the dough so you can make these yummy little things at the drop of a hat.
- 1 cup softened butter
- 1cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons Chai Concentrate (I like Oregon Chai)
- 2½ cups flour
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 cups confectioners sugar
- ⅓ cup softened butter
- 3 tablespoons Oregon Chai
- To start on the cookies, add butter, sugar and egg to a large bowl and beat until creamy. Add the chai concentrate and beat until incorporated.
- Add flour and baking powder and mix well.
- Divide dough into two parts and wrap in saran wrap.
- Chill at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Roll out dough with a rolling pin on a cutting board sprinkled with flour.
- Use cookie cutters to cut them into shapes. (I skip this step and just roll small balls of dough and place them on the baking sheet and it works fine.)
- Bake 6-10 minutes until lightly browned.
- Set on a wire rack to cool.
- Add all ingredients to a bowl and stir well until creamy. Frost cookies once cooled.
*If you are not familiar with Chai concentrate, it can be found for about $3.00 in the tea section of most stores. I typically see the concentrates on the bottom shelf.
Here are a few other recipes you might want to check out:
- Creamy Crock Pot Chicken Tacos
- Starbucks Iced Passion Tea Lemonade
- Molten Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Mexican Grilled Corn
- Iced Coffee Recipe (make once a month!)