My girls had a playdate yesterday and I wanted to whip up something fun for the kids. I was pretty short on time so I put together these festive Rice Krispie treats in literally minutes.
I thought I would post them in case any of you are looking for really fast ideas for Fourth of July.
The nice thing about these is that you can make them well in advance and they will hold up really well in the afternoon sun.
Plus the kids were really excited about the fun colors. These could be tucked into cellophane bags and serve as little treats to take home.
To put these together could not be simpler. I just divided the standard Rice Krispie treat recipe into thirds. I put the red layer on the bottom, followed by a plain layer and finally a blue layer.
You want to pack each layer in with a spatula to get the nice clean lines for each color.
Here is the recipe that I used:
- Rice Krispies
- Food Coloring
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter over low heat to a large saucepan.
- Once the butter starts to melt, add 3oz of marshmallows (1/3 of a standard size bag) and let melt.
- Remove from heat.
- Add food coloring to your mixture and mix well.
- Add 2 cups of Rice Krispies cereal and stir well.
- You should have a nice gooey mess.
- Now use a spatula to firmly press the layer of treats into a baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- Rinse the pan and repeat above until you have all 3 colors needed.
Let the mixture cool and flip baking dish upside down onto a cutting board- the red layer should be on top. Slice into squares or you can spray a cookie cutter with cooking spray and cut into shapes.