I had a ferocious craving for chocolate chip cookies the other day and I decided to jazz them up a little- because hey Go Big or Go Home right?
This is a super simple way to dress up cookies and then you can call them fancy names like “Sea Salt Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies” or “Mint Chocolate Chip Cookies” or go with the Molten Chocolate Chip as I did.
I just went with a basic chocolate chip recipe (my favorite recipe is listed below) and you simply stuff them with candy to create this molten center. I used Dove chocolates and I treated myself to a bag of the Dove Promises sea salt caramel chocolates- they also have mint chocolates or regular milk chocolate caramel or white chocolate- whatever you like.
You could substitute Hershey’s Kisses, Hershey’s Bliss candy, Rolos… etc… etc… but I find the size of the Dove Promises to be best. Plus you say sea salt caramel and I am in.
You simply make the cookie dough recipe and then scoop the dough into little balls. Flatten the balls and place the candy in the center. Roll the dough back up so the candy is completely covered.
And then bake away for about 10 minutes. Once they come out of the oven, you should have a super chewy and soft cookie with an ooey-gooey center.
- 1 cup butter (softened)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tea vanilla
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tea baking soda
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 bag candy of your choice- I used Dove Promises Sea Salt Caramel
- Cream together the softened butter and the two sugars.
- Add eggs one at a time to incorporate.
- Add vanilla.
- Set aside.
- Mix dry ingredients in a small bowl and slowly add to the butter mixture.
- Scoop small handfuls of the dough and roll into a ball.
- Flatten into a disk and lay the chocolate in the center.
- Roll back into a ball shape. The chocolate should be completely surrounded by cookie dough.
- Bake at 350° for approximately 10 minutes.
Now I tend to cut the dough in half and wrap it in saran wrap. I roll it into a log and pop it in the freezer. (That way I don’t sit and eat 24 cookies in a day- which could actually happen.) When you are ready for more cookies, just pull out of the freezer to defrost. Slice the log and stuff with candy. Bake as usual.
*If you want a lighter dessert for summertime, you might take a look at the 4th of July Strawberry handpies!