Jun
2012

Children’s Craft Idea: Homemade Bubbles

06/21/2012. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

This is a really simple and easy way to make your own bubbles at home.  I highly recommend trying this because you will get those huge gorgeous bubbles that the kiddos will love.

Sometimes I buy bubbles at the store and I find the bottle is a dud and we barely get any bubbles out of it.  I couldn’t believe how easy this was to do and perfect to take with you for a 4th of July picnic!

I made this in about 8 minutes total and I just used things we already had on hand.

Children’s Craft Idea: Homemade Bubbles
Author:
Recipe type: Children’s Craft Idea
Prep time:
Total time:

Ingredients
  • Dish Soap
  • Light Karo Syrup or Glycerin
  • Water
Instructions
  1. Add 1 cup of water to a large bowl
  2. Add 2 tablespoons of Light Karo Syrup or Glycerin
  3. Add 4 tablespoons of dish soap
  4. Mix together and that is it!

The Karo syrup you might already have on hand, otherwise it is about $3 at most stores. Glycerin is a little harder to find, I have had good luck at Michael’s. I believe it is about $5 but you can usually dig up a coupon to use for 40-50% off.

I just multiplied the recipe to make 8 cups and we used the large bubble wands from the Dollar Store.

You get big, thick bubbles that the kiddos will love.  My 3 year old and 4 year old took turns chasing the bubbles and had a great time.

***Note: For the dish soap you will get the best results if you use Joy, Dawn or Ivory.

You can see more Children’s Summertime Activities by scrolling down here.

Becky S. June 21, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I just bought glycerin just to make bubbles…it took three stores/pharmacies to get it. I wish I had known I could get it at a craft store! They all looked at me like I was making a bomb…no, I just want to make my kids some bubbles that actually WORK. ;) Thanks for sharing this!

jessica June 21, 2012 at 2:51 PM

How timely. I was just blowing bubbles for the girls. :)

Charlene June 21, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Becky,

I didn’t try the Glycerin but I have it from a prior project. It was a nightmare to find. It is near the cake baking stuff at Michael’s for sure in a tiny little bottle.

The Karo syrup worked perfectly.

Kristi June 24, 2012 at 4:51 PM

You can usually find glycerin at a natural foods store or anywhere that sells oils for aroma therapy.

susan June 28, 2012 at 5:51 AM

You can also find glycerin in the band aid aisle. That is where I found mine at Walmart – it’s listed as a skin protector.

tiffany July 2, 2012 at 3:42 PM

I bought glycerin from amazon. a big bottle at about $13 but it’s lasted forever!

Jodi July 7, 2012 at 3:54 PM

Just made this for my kids, and I’ll be linking back to you tomorrow. Thanks so much for the great recipe.

Charlene July 7, 2012 at 4:57 PM

Totally worth it right Jodi! What a difference those bubbles have over the little ones from the store.

Vickie January 21, 2013 at 6:02 PM

I fo und my glycerin at Joann’s Fabric near the baking supplies.It was about $5 for a small bottle but I used a coupon – it’s never on sale. Works great. My granddaughter is always saying the “other bubbles” don’t work.