Here is a yummy idea if you want something cool and refreshing for the summer.
If you are not familiar with agua fresca it is a delicious and totally guilt free summer beverage. You can adapt this in all sorts of ways to accommodate your tastes and it comes together really quickly.
My kids love when I make this and they think they are getting a special treat when this is actually really healthy.
So agua fresca is not a smoothie- it is closer to a flavored water. It is really light and is perfect on nice summer evening or with spicy foods. I make this for my girls all the time when the adults are having margaritas or when we have Mexican food.
You can use any fruit you have on hand- usually the fruits with a lot of water work best like cantaloupe and watermelon. My very favorite way to make agua fresca is with pineapple but you can really use almost anything- strawberries, raspberries, peaches, honeydew…. and you can even jazz it up a little more by adding rum or sparkling water.
You can serve this over ice- I try to serve it really well chilled and I skip the ice.
- Chopped watermelon- 4 Cups
- Cold Water- 1½ Cups
- Fresh Lime Juice- 2 tablespoons (I like it limey so I double that)
- Agave- 1-2 tablespoons (You can use sugar or honey as a substitute)
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth.
- I like a nice smooth drink so strain the juice into a pitcher. There is a foamy melon mixture that winds up on top of the strainer (my kids love this part)- just keep pushing it through the strainer with a spatula.
- Serve well chilled.
See? Easy peasy! A great way to use up an abundance of fruit you might have during summer!
Does anyone else make agua fresca? I’d love to hear what kind of twist you put on this drink.