I made a big batch of this soup for my lunch this week and thought I’d mention it to you guys as well.
This is a much lighter version of a broccoli cheese soup so it is perfect for summertime.
This is not a super creamy soup- I prefer to use real foods and not the canned cheese soup you see in a lot of broccoli soup recipes.
I prefer this recipe in the summertime and even better you can make it in the crockpot! I usually do a big batch of this once a month or so and keep it in the fridge for fast lunch or dinners. This is a nice option too because you can indulge and not have to spend hours and hours at the gym after .
This particular batch I just literally put together in about 5 minutes at lunchtime and turned the crockpot on and viola! Dinner was waiting for me when I got home.
- 20 oz of frozen broccoli
- 2 Cups Milk
- ¼ cup chopped white onion
- 3 cups of shredded cheese (this is your preference, I like Jack and Cheddar cheese but just cheddar would be great as well)
- 1 qt Vegetable Broth
- Add the chopped onion, milk, broth and broccoli to the crock pot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook on high for about 3.5 hours or on low for about 6.5-7 hours.
- About 10 minutes before the soup is finished cooking add the shredded cheeses.
- Once the soup is done take the immersion blender or regular blender and puree until creamy.
- Top with cheddar cheese or I like croutons for a little crunch.
I am a vegetarian and the rest of the family eats meat so quick dishes like this that I can make ahead are a lifesaver on busy nights.