I have the best carpet cleaner and DIY air freshener tip for you. This is so easy to do and inexpensive and it is totally nontoxic and green cleaning. So you don’t need to buy tons of sprays and plug ins and such in order to get your home spelling fantastic.
The process is very simple:
- You take baking soda and add a few drops of your favorite essential oil or you might even be able to use cooking vanilla if you don’t have any oils on hand. I really like Peppermint, Tea Tree or Lemon myself. I find Peppermint has a very pronounced fragrance and citrus or lavender can be more subtle.
You can also get one of these little sprinkle jars from Target or Walmart for about $1.00. Those make it a bit easier to sprinkle around the house. You can also find jars at the Dollar Store that are intended for powdered sugar and those work perfectly as well.
Now you just mix a few drops of fragrance oil to your baking soda and you can sprinkle this like crazy throughout the house. I like to do this about an hour before vacuuming and it serves as an easy carpet deodorizer. You can use this in the car as well before you vacuum.
Here are a bunch of other uses for baking soda:
- Sprinkle this on cleats and inside shoes for an odor issues.
- You can also sprinkle a little baking soda in vases to keep flowers fresh longer.
- Baking soda helps to remove odor in stinky shirts too (baby spit up, sweat and other issues best left unsaid).
- Sprinkle it on a hairbrush if you skip a day of washing your hair or sprinkle it on the dog’s hairbrush to add a little excitement to their grooming.
- Dump about a cup into the toilet as a cleaner and to absorb any odors.
- Put a little at the bottom of the trash can to absorb odors.
- Sprinkle on car seats and jogging strollers and all those other things you might have for the kiddos.
So really the possibilities are endless and I have found this to be so useful all over the house. The great thing is that baking soda is so incredibly cheap- you can really be generous sprinkling this all over the place. That 4lb bag pictured at the top was $6 at Costco.