Recipe: Roasted Tomato Grilled Cheese

Grilled Cheese with Roasted Tomatoes Sandwich

I get asked every so often what kinds of things I make since I am a vegetarian.  Here is a little twist on a grilled cheese that is a little lighter and is incredibly simple to put together.

I make this sandwich quite often- it is very filling and really delicious. You can make this on sliced sourdough as a lighter lunch or make it on a sliced baguette for a more filling dinner.  I have had this for breakfast too with scrambled eggs.

To make the sandwich, just preheat the oven to 350°.
Place grape tomatoes on parchment paper on a baking sheet.
Drizzle with Olive Oil and season with salt and pepper. (I use an herb sea salt mix)

Bake for about 25 minutes until the tomatoes start to pop.
I usually toast the bread for the last 5-7 minutes by just plopping it right on the same baking sheet.
Remove from oven and add the tomatoes to your sliced bread.
Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.

Roasted Tomato Sandwich

Bake for about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is all nice and melted.

And there you have an incredibly simple twist on a grilled cheese sandwich!

Roasted tomato and grilled cheese sandwich recipe

My family is having chicken for dinner tonight and I just made these to have with salad and corn on the cob.

Comments

1. Annye says

I’m not judging, Charlene; I’m just genuinely curious:

Do you eat scrambled eggs and dairy, but not meat? Or do you also eat certain meats — say, fish but no chicken, pork, or beef? Everyone seems to have a different definition of “vegetarian” these days, so I’m curious what your stance is.

Thank you in advance for the learning opportunity!

2. Charlene says

Yes Annye, I eat dairy- I believe it is technically called an ovo-lacto vegetarian. Usually those that don’t eat any animal products are vegan. For the lack of a better term, I just don’t eat animal flesh. That sounds disgusting but no fish, chicken or red meat of any sort. It is not a political or health statement, I just don’t like meat. I have always been that way and I stopped officially eating meat at 14 ;). Have never once had a craving for it since. It would be much easier if I did like meat- especially when I am putting dinner together because everyone else does eat it.

3. Chitra says

Charlene,

I am also ovo lacto vegetarian, but my question is – how do you eat your protein. I think I eat too many carbs and veggies, but lack a little protein. Any tips for that?

Thanks

4. momto3 says

yumm–i do this but with eggplant slices–cant wait for tomatoes this summer!

5. Charlene says

LOl well carbs are my middle name ;). I eat eggs a lot. I eat veggie meat products- like veggie burgers. I keep almonds and dried fruit in the car for snacking. I will eat a handful of those on the way to the gym. I love black beans and I eat those with rice and cheese and salsa in burritos all the time.

I put spinach in my eggs and then I usually have at least one iced coffee a day and that has milk. Funny people perceive vegetarians as unhealthy or sickly and I am healthy as a horse ;). I barely ever get sick and I am often tired but I blame the kids for that. 😀

6. loni says

Yum! I want to put Basil under the tomatoes and drizzle balsamic vinegar onit

7. Charlene says

Loni, you could rub garlic too if you are feeling fancy. I have been meaning to try with pesto but I bet basil would be delicious!

8. Annye says

Thanks, Charlene! I thought vegan was no animal products, period, but was under the mistaken impression that eggs were a no-no for vegetarians, too. Now thanks to you, I know better!

Thanks too for clarifying that you simply don’t like meat. I knew SOMEONE out there had be a vegetarian based on taste preferences and not solely because of allergies, political beliefs (for want of a better term), or ethical reasons. I’m glad it’s working for you despite the extra effort!

9. Charlene says

LOL- no. I just really can’t stand the texture and the idea of eating meat makes me sick :P. Like my husband can’t even be in the house if I cook cauliflower- he hates it. I feel the same on meat. I am wearing a leather belt today so certainly not going to get on a high horse about being politically correct.

10. Allison says

Thanks for the yummy recipe! I added an herb spread on the bread and kissed the top with a little Parmesan and it was yummy :)

11. Angie says

Thanks for sharing! My hubby is vegetarian, but I am the cook, so I am ALWAyS looking for new ideas. My little man is 4.5 years old and he’s been very curious lately about dad’s decision to not eat meat.
    Thanks again!