Jun
2009

What the Heck is RP and SS?

06/27/2009. This post may contain affiliate links. Read my Disclosure Policy.

I can’t tell you how many times I have been asked “I like your blog, but what does SS mean?”

Which makes me laugh because all the coupon lingo must seem like Greek at times. So to answer the question- SS means SmartSource which is one of the inserts in the Sunday paper. You can tell it is SS (or SmartSource) because of the logo at the top of the insert.

And this is the RedPlum- logo in top left corner again. I refer to it as RP but some refer to it as Valassis or “V”- they are the same thing.

We clarify which insert (SS or RP) to make it easy to find the coupon you need. Occasionally we also see Procter and Gamble inserts which are referred to as “P&G” or General Mills inserts- referred to as “GM”.
If you see something like this:
$1/2 from 8/19 SS
That means go and get the insert from the 8/19 newspaper that is from SmartSource.  The date will be listed on the spine of the coupon insert.
There can be up to 5 inserts in a paper so if we only referenced the date that would be a pain to try and dig out the coupon you need.
If you did not happen to purchase a newspaper that weekend you are most likely out of luck.  You can purchase coupons online or you can hunt around and try to find printables.  I suggest checking the coupon database first for any coupons you might need.  You can also check the manufacturer’s web site and Facebook page.

Dolly May 1, 2010 at 11:32 AM

I recently discovered your website even though i have been couponing for many years….I can’t believe the amount of stuff I was able to get for absolutly FREE!! Thanks for all the tips!

Marianne November 14, 2010 at 9:15 PM

What do you mean by P&G?

Charlene November 14, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Marianne, P&G is the Proctor and Gamble coupon insert. They usually come 1x or 2x a month and the front will say Proctor and Gamble. You can see what it looks like here:

Bridget April 25, 2011 at 9:06 AM

Are there supposed to be coupons in every week of the paper? I had lots of coupons in my Sunday paper last week but NOTHING in this weeks Sunday :(

Charlene April 25, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Bridget I posted that there are no coupons in the weekend paper several days ago. That is the norm for a holiday weekend:

Bridget April 25, 2011 at 10:56 AM

Thanks Charlene! I must have missed that. Do you normally post a preview of the upcoming Sunday paper weekly? If so, I will definately be watching for it. Also, is there a day of the week you normally would post this information? Thanks so much! Your site has been extremely helpful in my start at couponing.

Charlene April 25, 2011 at 11:03 AM

Yes I usually post it on Wednesday evening. Sometimes later if the information is not available. You can click on “looking for something” on the right sidebar and select coupon preview from the drop down menu and that will give you the most current preview I have posted anytime you stop in.

Valerie January 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM

ARe there different SS “Smart Source” inserts in different areas. Because I am not finding some of the coupons that are referred to in the specificly dated SS ad.

Charlene January 4, 2012 at 2:18 PM